hey guyz.. need your opinion

I just got a 283 given to me casting 3789935 came out of a 66 Impala 4 dr. Runs awesome I checked before I pulled it out. HERE is the question.. I
want to do some mods and run this in in my 86 Camaro.. I have a set of good 350 vortec heads and was going to use them on it , 4 brl intake 600 carb and a mild cam.. like the stock 350 TPI engines ran.. I'm not looking to run 11 in the 1/4 lol.. I am hoping for a street car that I can drive daily and get aroun 275 - 300hp. Thanx guys..
9V283542 Is the number on the front of the block 37989935 Back number

In my opinion, that 283 will never run like any 350, no matter what you do to it. It just gives up too much displacement. 275 hp? No way.
I wouldn't even think of just bolting on heads and a cam on an old motor like that. About the first time you tried for 275 hp that grocery getter motor would be blown to hell.
I was going to redo the engine.. I know better than to stick a 40 year old engine into a car. I planned to bore .010 , new cam, flat top pistons 9:73:1 vortec heads Edelbrock perforemer rpm 600 carb 275 may be a far cry but this motor had 180 already which is better than the 305 in the car and way more torque

Years ago, you could get pistons all the way up to .120 over for those 283s, which gave you a 301 or 302, but I DONT recommend it because it was hard to tell if your cylinders were really thick enough to do this. Guess how I know.
But you could get .060 over flat tops for it and gain a little displacement, this would give about 292 cubes and you knew you needed to bore it anyway.
I don't know if you have done this before, but mixing harmonic balancers on these motors can result in unbalanced engines, so be aware of that too.
You don't have a 350 you could spend all this on and have your 275 hp around? Your 305 crank, if good, and a .030 over 350 block would give you close to the hp you want. And you could use your balancer since it is matched to your crank.
283 was an excellent motor. I would sell it and use the money to help buy a 350 crate motor.

thanx.. I am doing just that.. I have 4 350 stock in mint 4 bolt main 350's tha I am going to use the 350 vortec 906 heads on .. I am seling the 283 complete with funky factory manifolds (the y style) as I know some old school rodder that ones a factory engine will use. I figure I' ll dump it for $300 complet.. Fair I think for a complete running 283 that didn't smoke or knock.. Thanx again everyone for your advice.. Wish I never sold my 327.