hey guyz.. need your opinion

I just got a 283 given to me casting 3789935 came out of a 66 Impala 4 dr. Runs awesome I checked before I pulled it out. HERE is the question.. I want to do some mods and run this in in my 86 Camaro.. I have a set of good

350 vortec heads and was going to use them on it , 4 brl intake 600 carb and a mild cam.. like the stock 350 TPI engines ran.. I'm not looking to run 11 in the 1/4 lol.. I am hoping for a street car that I can drive daily and get aroun 275 - 300hp. Thanx guys..
Reply to
Chevrolet

Chevrolet

In my opinion, that 283 will never run like any 350, no matter what you do to it. It just gives up too much displacement. 275 hp? No way.

I wouldn't even think of just bolting on heads and a cam on an old motor like that. About the first time you tried for 275 hp that grocery getter motor would be blown to hell.

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
Chevrolet

Years ago, you could get pistons all the way up to .120 over for those

283s, which gave you a 301 or 302, but I DONT recommend it because it was hard to tell if your cylinders were really thick enough to do this. Guess how I know.

But you could get .060 over flat tops for it and gain a little displacement, this would give about 292 cubes and you knew you needed to bore it anyway.

I don't know if you have done this before, but mixing harmonic balancers on these motors can result in unbalanced engines, so be aware of that too.

You don't have a 350 you could spend all this on and have your

275 hp around? Your 305 crank, if good, and a .030 over 350 block would give you close to the hp you want. And you could use your balancer since it is matched to your crank.
Reply to
Scott
283 was an excellent motor. I would sell it and use the money to help buy a
Reply to
Chevy Man

thanx.. I am doing just that.. I have 4 350 stock in mint 4 bolt main 350's tha I am going to use the 350 vortec 906 heads on .. I am seling the 283 complete with funky factory manifolds (the y style) as I know some old school rodder that ones a factory engine will use. I figure I' ll dump it for $300 complet.. Fair I think for a complete running 283 that didn't smoke or knock.. Thanx again everyone for your advice.. Wish I never sold my

Reply to
Chevrolet