Hey Toyota, have you consider changing your name?

You know like once you get a bad reputation, it's better to assume a new identity. Everybody is talking about Toyotas being cheap and running out of control, and that's no good.

How do you say Mowing Machine in Japanese?

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"Junk goes by many names but it's still junk"

TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

Did your girlfriend ride off with a traveling salesman in a Toyota or something like that?

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

No, but she may.

Kidding, she doesn't like losers.

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

Actually she drove a Toyota that goes by a different name: 1998 Lexus. We still do drive it, but now I gave her my wisdom (since I'm the driver), and told her, "If you buy car from the Rising Sun, better not be Toyota by any name."

And she says fine.

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

Have many problems with the old Lexus?

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Numb steering, boring. Otherwise they are fine.

Let me tell you, when I traded my infamous Toyota Tercel (taking a huge loss) for a Ford Escort (not the original, but the one made in collaboration with Mazda), the Escort turned out a great little car. First I tried the GT and it was a blast! But it would get me in trouble in America's anarchic roads, and picked the mundane Escort, which my girlfriend drove forever without mechanical problems. The Escorts gave you a good feel of the road (which I consider a must for the real driver).

Yes, it was a different girlfriend, but the moral of the story is: YOU MUST BE LUCKY WITH ANY CAR! (or girlfriend)

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

Well hell! You done went and bought the wrong damn car. You want a sporty car buy one, not a Toyota or Lexus those are made for us old farts that don't want to have to take their Chevy or Cadillac to the dealer every other week for repairs.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

To be honest the most fun vehicle in America is the scooter. You can't have fun in American roads, unless you have an SUV and have fun terrorizing people.

Even the Smart would be terrifying...

(I quote)

How many Americans, used to SUVs and other hefty vehicles, will take to this itty bitty car? Is it safe?

"Just how many urban fashionistas are there?" wrote Juergen Zoellter in a review this spring for Car and Driver magazine, predicting only limited U.S. sales. He said the prospect of driving a Fortwo in truck traffic on American highways was "scary."

"In the States, the vehicle's size may work against it," he wrote.

***

In other words, it pays to be stupid and drive a Toyota, or better Toyota SUV. :(

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

Hey, it worked for Nissan... My dad had a 1970 Datsun 510.

Thing rotted out super fast! Man - there was some memories. It was left hand drive as normal for America, but the steering wheel was obviously not redesigned as the key was still on the left had side between the column and door and you started it left hand with the manual choke on the right...Drove my Dad nuts every time he got in it after getting out of the old Plymouth Fury..."God Damn Japs!" is what he used to say after several old habit blind attempts to find the keyhole on the right side...lol

Reply to
IYM

There were American vehicles that had the key on the left of the steering column on the dash. We had use of a Ford van that was set up that away, too.

Charles Grozny

Reply to
charlesgrozny

We know. What was your Usenet name before?

Ashton Crusher?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I can see two. The owner's Husband and his "bag"

Reply to
clare

If there's something wrong with the Japanese is that they don't have good eyesight, something that became obvious when the piloted planes in WWII.

Toyota though is not Japanese anymore, and it's a product of stupid designers from California, where I believe their American HQ is. They are really blind. ;)

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

If there's something wrong with the Japanese is that they don't have good eyesight, something that became obvious when the piloted planes in WWII.

Toyota though is not Japanese anymore, and it's a product of stupid designers from California, where I believe their American HQ is. They are really blind. ;)

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

"charlesgrozny" wrote in news:982dnZFsLK_uhlvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

So what model and year was that, as in working on them since 1973 and any thing current at that time including most 60s stuff I have never seen one like that. So I am more than skeptical. they had the key on the left side on the dash sometimes, but never on the collum. KB

Kevin Bottorff

I was blaming Californians, but something in the back of my mind told me they couldn't be that stupid. They did design something so unique as the new VW Beetle.

HQ Toyota in America is in NY, a state where they don't drive, but know how to make money. I'd fire a few people and then get some smart people to make interesting cars. (I know one such person.)

"Toyota Motor North America headquarters is located in New York City and operates at a holding company level in North America. Its manufacturing headquarters is located in Hebron, Kentucky, and is known as Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, or TEMA."

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

New Yorkers don't drive? What are you smoking? Sure are a lot of cars on the NY thruway, the Northway, I-90, and all the various other roads in New York. Even in Manhattan there's no shortage of cars on the avenues and streets, not to mention the tunnels and bridges.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

New Yorkers are most proud of their public transportation, and it's not like California where you have State Route 1...

And I think people get depressed with the weather in NY and design Toyotas.

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

Proud of filthy, stinking, criminal infested subways? WHat have YOU been smoking?

Reply to
Sharx35

US Route 1 goes through New York State, partially along the alignment of old NY 1. And comprehensive public transportation is pretty much limited to four of the five boroughs of the city; Westchester County has trains to get you into the city but getting around the county means you pretty much need a car. Rockland County has one train line. And then there's the whole rest of the state, which is rather large (for the east coast, anyway). And there's no shortage of cars in the city.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto