High Volume Oil Pump

I just installed a "high volume" oil pump in my 1989 GMC 350 v8 with 163,000 mi. Pressure went from approx 10 - 20psi up to almost 60psi, which is great
but the guy at the parts store said a new nylon sleeve that secures the drive shaft to the pump will work fine. But the note that came with the pump says "If the STEEL SLEEVE is not used the oil pump driveshaft can be damaged, resulting in oil pump failure and voids the warranty". Any readers have experience with a high volume oil pump and will a nylon sleeve really fail? I know, I should have read the notes first...surely these parts counter guys know a little bit, though.
Stever
Add pictures here
βœ–

163,000
great
pump
readers
I'm betting the oil pump manufacturer knows more. What I've used in an application like this was a solid drive shaft and sleeve from Moroso.
http://tinyurl.com/3mnpr
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steel all the way..... this should not even be a question. If you have the manufacturer saying that you will void the warranty if you do not use it then this is a no brainer.
MOST parts counter people are either failed mechanics, or just book smart enough to cross numbers out of a catalog. Hell three of the parts people at my local auto parts store are fresh out of high school, or still in high school. If you don't believe me as a few of them the same question and see what kind of answers you would get. I have got to the point that I will go on line, look up a part number myself, and just go up to the counter and give the person that little slip of paper with the number on it. If it is wrong, then either the wrong part is in the box, or I straight F***ed up. Then 90% of the time will follow manufacturers instructions, unless I know there is a better upgrade (alternative)
If you find a parts person that knows what the hell is going on, stay with him/her

163,000
great
pump
readers
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Eightupman" wrote: > If you find a parts person that knows what the hell is going on, stay > with him/her
Problem is this is the person all the mechanics call in for so they are always extremely busy. I know what you’re saying though.
βœ–
How true that is...

http://www.AutoForumz.com/GM-High-Volume-Oil-Pump-ftopict66544.html
http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p )4290
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Linck wrote:

I had one crack once before I put the pump in...I went with the steel ones from then on... No question then.
--
Paul
'91 XL1200