How come the Aveo doesn't have Dex-Cool?

Some Service and Pre-Delivery Tips Aveo PDI service bulletin 03-00-89-040 explains several unique product features. The information is useful for all technicians, not just the PDI
technician. Here are some highlights.
Coolant -- The Aveo cooling system is factory filled with blue silicate/hybrid coolant (fig. 18) and will be serviced with traditional green coolant. This type of coolant must be drained, flushed and refilled every 30,000 miles (48,000 km). Use P/N 12378560 (1 gal). In Canada, use P/N 993088 (1L) or P/N 993089 (4L).
I thought that since GM developed Dex-Cool they'd use it rather then traditional green...any ideas?
Could it be because the Aveo is a Daewoo (made in Korea) product?
"Phillip Schmid" wrote

I noticed this too, while browsing through some of the Daewoo vehicle manuals. Probably because the vehicle has simply been rebadged, I imagine they have left the choice of coolant up to the original manufacturer and design engineers. It's certainly good to know, as we will be doing maintence work on them within a few years.
Ian

I guess that makes sense, but since GM bought Daewoo couldn't they have them put Dex-Cool or traditional anti-freeze? I can already see people going to a store to get some more anti-freeze and confusing themselves and the clerks.
May have something to do with the communist government only allowing GM to buy this particular type of antifreeze for thier production....That is if Korea is still a communist nation...don't remember or care to look it up at this point...
8upman

some quick recent world event updates. there are 2 koreas, north and south. the south one has a large american presence to keep the nuclear threat, communist north korea in check. the south is very friendly to the states. the two are still officially at war, since no peace treaty has been signed, but no shots have been fired between both sides for a few decades.
daewoo is from south korea, and like the states a capitalist democratic nation. trading with the north would be as disallowed as trading with cuba.
as for the subject of antifreeze, the original daewoo was probably designed for green coolant, so the changeover to dex-cool would not have been properly engineered. this means that there are differences between the 2 systems other than the coolant itself, such as seals and fittings, and maybe even rad sizing.
yofa - snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

@hotmail.com says...

Whats a Aveo? Oh daewoo... Hey Saturn refuses to use dexcool and synthetic oil. I think it had something to do with the fact that they dont want people trying to go with long intervals between fluid changes.

the Saturn Ion uses Dex Cool.
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says...

Hmm dunno... Saturn might be getting persuaded by GM to start using dexcool and such. For years they avoided such things.
Saturn used to use all their own engine designs, but the Ion as well as some of the Vue and L-series use the same Ecotec 2.2L engine as in numerous other GM vehicles, so there is no reason for them to have different coolant requirements..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

You would think that people going to buy coolant would look up the correct type of coolant in their owner's manuals.
Timothy J. Lee

Yeah, you would think that, but if you hang around this and the pontiac newsgroup you'll see that people generally don't.

Easy one. This car is really a Korean Daewoo and is filled with common Korean fluids, not the US GM Dexcool.
John
Blue coolant? WTF? What will they think of next...I heard dex-cool (orange) turns into mud and is crap. Is this still the case?

-GV
No it is not crap, people just dont know how to keep their coolant in check.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...