How does an oil change reminder work?

It has to be manually reset.

Reply to
saeengineer

Most new cars like honda's etc still use mileage as there indicator light. Some also give you an option to change this number so the indicator shows up after that number of miles driven. This is particularly good because of different types of oil and driving conditions we go through. I mostly use Synthetic oil and therefore have to set my oil change either by 5000 miles, looks or 6 months interval. It is a good idea to change it after 6 months anyways due to the oxidation factors of the oil which kills the detergent in the oil after it is first exposed to the air, it seems to hold up for only 6 months or so.

Some people go for over 3000 miles every oil change and I kinda disagree with that in some ways, unless you know your driving conditions. If you are a highway driver and use conventional oil then I'm sure you can go way over 5000 miles or so. I have opened up engines with 3000 miles regular oil changes with only normal city driving being nasty inside with all kinds of sludge.

I would say follow the manufactures recommendations mostly because those numbers are tested to work best on that particular car. As far as type of oil is concerned, viscosity matters so go with manufactures recommendations also. On mine I have seen better gas mileage with 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic.

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (larrymoencurly) writes:

Reply to
Karim Halai

Lee, You have posted the same thing twelve times. They all show up as 10:35 PM Sat. here in AZ. Any chance you think the posts aren't hitting cuz your clock is broken? GW

Lee Richards> If she does a lot of very short trip driving, you might do well to heed the

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I apologize to the group for the repeat messages. D*mn computer must have had an orgasm.

Reply to
Lee Richardson

His news server screwed up.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

GW wrote : Lee you posted the same thing twelve times.

At least it wasn't a Bakers Dozen ( 13 )

LOL

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~261,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

How did you manage that ? ;-)))))))

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yeah, I am not sure what happened. I apologize for the flood.

Sincerely, Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson

That's what I don't get about the idea of sophisticated sensors detecting when the oil needs changing. If it was that, wouldn't that same sensor be better designed if it also turns off after it 'detects' that the oil is better again?

I'd think it would be more along the lines of specific things the computer already keeps track of. (Like the things previously mentioned... eng. temp, speed, mileage, etc). Especially if you have to 'tell' the computer that you changed the oil to get it to turn off the light.

Reply to
Clem

It seems like it would be a trivial matter to put some kind of switch on the drain plug or oil filter base that would trip when the plug or filter was removed, and that signal could be used to reset the system.

Reply to
Lee Richardson

Something was going on with my computer or IP, the problem seems to be cleared up now.

Thanks, Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson

But that adds complexity and wiring, the "sensorless" systems are basically free (just a bit of firmware) except for the light itself.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

True, but they don't seem to shy away from complexity and extra wiring in many other potentially less important systems.

Lee Richardson

Tend to disagree with your oil change mileages. Combustion is the #1 progenitor of oil degradation (and I don't mean oxidation) and not exposure to air per se. Heat resistance is part of the API & MilSpec tests for oil validation (if you need a standards reference). The #2 cause is the accumulation of combustion by-products washed during the lubrication process that eventually degrades oil detergents and oil quality (i.e. the detergents suspend dirt in solution). Hence the reason to change one's oil. Oils do not "wear out" by oxidation and can be easily recycled >>

&
. Not bringing a car's engine up to temperature, dust, poor tune, poorfilters, dirty gasoline and oil pollution (e.g. broken coolant gasket) allshorten oil life. In warranty, follow your "warranty recommendation" fortime and mileage. Out-of-warranty, synthetic oils can easily go 10,000miles regardless of time. The advantages (most) synthetic oils have is thatthey don't oxidize easily (are intrinsically stable), are HIGHLYheat-resistant, retain their viscosity sheer range (i.e. they lubricate) andleave few by-products (also known as "varnish"). They keep your enginesubstantially cleaner. I agree with what you say about 5w-30 etc. onsynthetics. Try synthetics in any small 4-cycle engines you have .. .you'll also see quite a difference from conventional oil. Bill

"Karim Halai" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@zyan.org...

Reply to
Bill Freeman

It's not the oil that wears out, it's the supplement package. You need to replace the oil to get new additives. I would say in normal commute driving (short trips) the number one reason to change your oil is moisture, since it builds up condensation and never really get's it all out before you shut it off again. That's why your exhaust will rust off so soon.

t smith