How GM can survive

If they can weather a UAW strike and find temporary workers they can BOOT the union and become competitive again. Close the plants in Union strongholds and keep those with a better labor pool.

I read somewhere of a UAW member janitor making close to 100K/yr with OT. Spare me the grief but that is obscene. How much should someone get paid to bolt seats on an assembly line or push a broom.

Reply to
Charles

And you have people bitching about the executives making $200,000 or so, who is harder to replace?

It makes me wish they had a few of those dollars to spend on my van when it was built.

Reply to
Scott

Ever worked on an assembly line like GM's? It's not as 'easy' as you seem to think it is.

Reply to
80 Knight

it's probably a full time job keeping those toilets flowing,you know, with them being full of quality control

think it is.

Reply to
redeye-racing

Reply to
Scott

Go talk to some of the people who do the *exact same thing* for 8 hours a day, and ask them how much they like it.

Reply to
80 Knight

can't argue that...if i had to install the same part on the same car day after day...it would be eveything i had to stop from stepping out in front of speeding bus

Reply to
redeye-racing

The union must be busted!...before in brings the nation to its knees. They were needed in the 30s-50s but this is the 21st century in a global economy. If they Shutdown GM they could shutdown the whole economy of detroit.

Reply to
Kwazy Wabbit

Probably more monotonous than hard, rotating the line takes some of the monotony out though.

Reply to
Kwazy Wabbit

But what is it worth in $$? They should make a good living, but if they don't like it, they can always move away and become a farmer, cook, accountant, or whatever.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually, it is both (depending on the job, of course). Most of us who have been there 20+ years are working with injuries (especially repetitive strain). However, I'm not complaining. I got an education and then chose to work the line for the $$ and benefits.

(Sorry for accidentally sending to your e-mail)

Jane

Reply to
Jane

Those take skill and education, something a UAW line worker doesn't have.

Reply to
tony kujawa

been there 20+ years are working with injuries (especially repetitive strain). >>>>>>>>>>>>>show me someone who in the automotibe industry than isn't working with injuries..i'd like someone who works onth line to humour me....tell me what you do and what you make$$$$$.....i'm sure most techs out there do a lot more, have to learn alot more, fork out alot more money in equipment, work with more injuries, see more stress and pressure from deadlines, and see far less cold hard cash....

Reply to
redeye-racing

and how do you know that?

I have known UAW workers with masters degrees.

Reply to
why, me

You said "I read...". You strike me as being functionally illeterate, with no idea at all what working on a line is like. Quit flipping burgers and get a real job and a real life.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the job, as I said. Some parts go together more easily than others. In any event, I was addressing a specific comment, not intending to debate who has the hardest job.

Are you jealous or something?

Jane

Reply to
Jane

What do Wagoner and Lutz make? How much did Roger Smith get? What should someone be paid to steer the company down the toilet?

***
Reply to
DH

What plant rotates jobs on the line? None I've heard of. Three line job examples...........................

  1. Vehicle passes you with axles at chest level (assume 6ft tall). Take inflated front tire/wheel assembly off the supply line and put it on the front axle. Pull down the 5-socket air wrench hanging overhead, orient with lugs, and put all 5 lug nuts on at once. Reload wrench with 5 lug nuts at repeat for rear axle. Reload wrench for front of next car.
  2. Chassis for rear wheel drive vehicles come by at knee level. Pick up cross-member (transmission support) by one end, hand other end across line to coworker. Put in place, drop in 2 bolts, start lock nuts on bottom until collar engages. Pull the steering idler arm onto mounting studs, put on lock washers & start nuts. Pull the double socket air wrench down, place on nuts & tighten nuts.
  3. Engines come by with the tops of the valve covers at eye level. Take alternator from stock basket on floor and place on engine. Get mounting bolts from stock pans, put through mounting brackets, mount alternator, and start nuts on bolts.

All these are at a line speed of 65 per hour, 520 per 8 hour shift. You get a

12 minute break before lunch, and another after. Don't drink too much coffee - bathroom breaks are almost impossible to get.

Been there, did that, got the t-shirt.

Web Site:

David Starr

And I've worked in the plants with former school teachers. There are more UAW members with advanced degrees that you can imagine.

Web Site:

David Starr

Considering how well they're doing their jobs............................... :-)

Web Site:

David Starr