How GM can survive

Page 1 of 4
If they can weather a UAW strike and find temporary workers they can BOOT the union and become competitive again. Close the plants in Union strongholds and keep those with a better labor pool.
I read somewhere of a UAW member janitor making close to 100K/yr with OT. Spare me the grief but that is obscene. How much should someone get paid to bolt seats on an assembly line or push a broom.

And you have people bitching about the executives making $200,000 or so, who is harder to replace?
It makes me wish they had a few of those dollars to spend on my van when it was built.
On Sun, 7 May 2006 20:21:58 -0700, "Scott" <homealone.com> wrote:

Unfortunately, both Labor and Management have been "plucking the Golden Goose" too vigorously..... too long.
They're both unwilling to stop .
<rj>

Ever worked on an assembly line like GM's? It's not as 'easy' as you seem to think it is.

with them being full of quality control

its probably easier than fixing them after they come off the line!

And you make less than half what the guy that put it together wrong makes! Sounds like a good deal to me.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

Go talk to some of the people who do the *exact same thing* for 8 hours a day, and ask them how much they like it.
can't argue that...if i had to install the same part on the same car day after day...it would be eveything i had to stop from stepping out in front of speeding bus

But what is it worth in $$? They should make a good living, but if they don't like it, they can always move away and become a farmer, cook, accountant, or whatever.
wrote in message

Those take skill and education, something a UAW line worker doesn't have.
tony kujawa wrote:

I have known UAW workers with masters degrees.

And I've worked in the plants with former school teachers. There are more UAW members with advanced degrees that you can imagine.
You can't blame someone for trying to get in on a great scam like the UAW has with the Big 3. Like the guy in Wall Street (the movie) said, "greed is good" and it's just as true for a UAW guy on a production line as it is for an executive in his suite. Trouble is, that "good" might be a short term (or at least not forever) thing that has the seeds for its own destruction built into it.
On the positive, side, it did take a long time for reality to rear its ugly head and those UAW guys sure did have a great ride while it lasted.
They don't have any business whining about how it's all so unfair, though. If a scam ends, that's nothing more than nature swinging the pendulum back because it has swung to far in one direction. A lot of people never had such a scam working for them and are not real likely to have much sympathy for those that did and lost it.

In what? Liberal arts or some other useless crap.

Charles U' Farley wrote:

differentiate what skills or education. He made a blanket statement which is not true. Yes, there are some UAW workers that that are not that skilled or educated, but then again, that is true of many areas. One of the most educated and inept people I have worked for had an MBA. I have also known Phd's that would not survive if they had to get a real job. Different skills are needed for different types of work. Don't denigrate some one because of the work they do unless you have experience with the work.

I once had a coworker, also an electrician. If you gave him a pad of paper & a pencil, he could draw out a schematic of a color TV, or other electronic device, with all the component numbers. Chip numbers, capacitor values, etc. He once drew the schematic for as device to turn a car radio into a police scanner. It worked fine! BUT, on a job, he couldn't connect 2 wires together properly. Education is not just in books.

monotony out though.
Kwazy Wabbit wrote:

Actually, it is both (depending on the job, of course). Most of us who have been there 20+ years are working with injuries (especially repetitive strain). However, I'm not complaining. I got an education and then chose to work the line for the $$ and benefits.
(Sorry for accidentally sending to your e-mail)
Jane

been there 20+ years are working with injuries (especially repetitive strain). >>>>>>>>>>>>>show me someone who in the automotibe industry than isn't working with injuries..i'd like someone who works onth line to humour me....tell me what you do and what you make$$$$$.....i'm sure most techs out there do a lot more, have to learn alot more, fork out alot more money in equipment, work with more injuries, see more stress and pressure from deadlines, and see far less cold hard cash....

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the job, as I said. Some parts go together more easily than others. In any event, I was addressing a specific comment, not intending to debate who has the hardest job.
Are you jealous or something?
Jane