How GM can survive

Page 3 of 4
OK guys, not being that much of a Ford person, I have a question regarding the Contour/Mystique. I never owned one but have had a few as rentals and, while I would not compare it to the Olds 98 I used to
have or my present Buick Regal, it seemed like a rather decent car.
I've got a neighbor that owns one and he loves it. Has been pretty much trouble-free.
Can anyone tell me why Ford dumped it?
Also, am I right that history is repeating itself and Ford is dropping the Taraus/Sable for an inferior replacement product? Just recently has a '06 Taraus as a rental and it sure was a lot better than the last Taraus I drove!
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

The car companies dump product lines because their cars are no longer selling
It has taken GM a long time to realize that they can not sell just about any crap
GM was able to sell inferior products for a long time but it is not as easy any more and it is not possible for them to do so in the future
You forget to say in my opinion. GM buyer apparently have an opinion, unlike yours, that ALL other brands are inferior, it appears Obviously the millions of GM buyers do not think they GM vehicles are inferior or they would not be spending their hard earned money to buy them.
mike hunt

GM buyer apparently are starting to have an opinion, that ALL GM brands are inferior
Obviously the millions of GM buyers do think their GM vehicles are inferior and they should not be spending their hard earned money to buy them
You opinion might make sense except for the fact GM is still the number one seller in the country. ;)
mike hunt

Wal-Mart is the number one retailer, does that mean that they sell quality products?
nate
Mike Hunter wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Oh no Nate - you had to go and start another Wal-Mart thread didn't you...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That's what we're supposed to believe, and it's probably true of some consumables like Mobil1 oil or Crisco shortening. My Sanyo TV has a model number that is exclusive to Walmart, and the only reason I (we) own it is because my wife got a gift card from her employer as a reward for XX days without lost time due to in-plant accidents. I expect it to burn out any day now, just like the other crap that Walmart has built for them on price point.

No way of knowing that. People buy from a particular dealer for a number of reasons.

Probably. I repair fewer Lexi than I do Toyotas.

Ya think?

Meaningless until you subtract the rental fleet sales. (L. Ron Hubbard really wasn't a best selling author)
That's funny
mike hunt

IOWs, you have nothing to refute it.
No need to, you comments spoke for them themselves LOL
mike hunt

Silly pencil pusher.

Oddly enough, consumers vote with their feet... and their purchasing dollars.
There are often more sales clerks than customers at my KMART, TARGET, SEARS stores.... but the local WalMart is ALWAYS crowded !
<rj>
I think it was Not Invented Here syndrome. Probably higher cost to produce than other cars in their lineup as well.
Just an anecdote, but if this was happening on a widespread scale... My ex-GF's mom was a die hard Ford person, mostly because her dad worked for Ford so she got a discount. She'd had at least two Tauri in a row, both were POSs which she bitched about incessantly. I told her if she ever got sick enough of it to do something about it to go test drive a Contour and see what she thought.
She went to the dealership to follow my advice, and the salesman WOULD NOT LET HER DRIVE THE CONTOUR, saying that it was too small for her (???? we're not talking about an unusually sized person here; if I can fit in it surely a normal sized woman should have no problems) and she wouldn't be happy with it, unfortunately instead of telling the salesman to fuck off and going to another dealership she let herself get talked into buying ANOTHER Taurus, which, you guessed it, turned out to be a festering POS.
Meanwhile, the then-GF's friend's mom DID follow my advice and bought a lease return Mistake, which was relatively trouble free. But the Contour/Mistake/Cougar never got updated when Europe went to the Gen. 2 Mondeo platform, and eventually were all discontinued.
I find it hard to believe that any car could be inferior to the Taurus, unless you *like* working on automatic transmissions.
nate
William H. Bowen wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
The problem with the Contour was not that it was a bad car, but that the car had very little room, especially in the back seat. There was actually more interior room in an Escort, which cost less. We Americans are bigger physically (for manly reasons) and like our room.
Nate Nagel wrote:

The union must be busted!...before in brings the nation to its knees. They were needed in the 30s-50s but this is the 21st century in a global economy. If they Shutdown GM they could shutdown the whole economy of detroit.

You said "I read...". You strike me as being functionally illeterate, with no idea at all what working on a line is like. Quit flipping burgers and get a real job and a real life.

What do Wagoner and Lutz make? How much did Roger Smith get? What should someone be paid to steer the company down the toilet?
***

Considering how well they're doing their jobs............................... :-)