How GM can survive

Hey, at $20,000 entry for the Pontiac, it BETTER outsell anything else like it for the first year. A few years down the road, ask me the same type of question.

The Miata is a proven quantity. Its sales have legs. We'll see with the Solstice/Sky twins.

The thing with the trunk is not an opinion. It's reality. Go look inside one and then tell me if you didn't shake your head in disbelief. They cut themselves off from the market of guys who like to play golf and have the loose change for a summer toy. Dumb.

Reply to
Charles U' Farley

General Motors Corp. reported a first-quarter loss of $323 million Thursday, the sixth straight quarterly loss for the world's largest automaker which is in the midst of an overhaul that includes hefty job cuts

Reply to
Gosi

However the stockholder report say the NA vehicles sales showed a profit for the quarter of 4.5 million.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

To get a car that will hold clubs for a foursome, one needs to buy a Ford

500 or a CV or their Mercury cousins LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I worked at GM for forty years. I wanted a car with rear wheel drive, a frame under it, and a large enough trunk to pack for a 2 week trip. GM no longer builds such an animal. So, in 04, I found an 02 Town Car for 22,900. It's the second Ford product I've owned - first was a 93 T-Bird - and the BEST car I've owned.

Web Site:

David Starr

I started with GM before moving to VW then Ford. I owned a couple of those RWD, four wheel independent suspension, V8 T-Birds and Cougars. They were great cars. Too bad they had to replace the Cougar with that Ford Probe reject in '99.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You mean the Contour (nee Mondeo) based car? What's not to like about it, other than the fact that it was FWD? Another example of Ford putting out a world class car and letting it die in favor of inferior products, probably because they wanted to promote their US-designed models. Also remember the Capri? Merkur XR4Ti?

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK guys, not being that much of a Ford person, I have a question regarding the Contour/Mystique. I never owned one but have had a few as rentals and, while I would not compare it to the Olds 98 I used to have or my present Buick Regal, it seemed like a rather decent car.

I've got a neighbor that owns one and he loves it. Has been pretty much trouble-free.

Can anyone tell me why Ford dumped it?

Also, am I right that history is repeating itself and Ford is dropping the Taraus/Sable for an inferior replacement product? Just recently has a '06 Taraus as a rental and it sure was a lot better than the last Taraus I drove!

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
William H. Bowen

You can believe whatever you choose

Reply to
Gosi

The car companies dump product lines because their cars are no longer selling

It has taken GM a long time to realize that they can not sell just about any crap

GM was able to sell inferior products for a long time but it is not as easy any more and it is not possible for them to do so in the future

Reply to
Gosi

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. reported a first-quarter loss of $323 million Thursday, the sixth straight quarterly loss for the world's largest automaker which is in the midst of an overhaul that includes hefty job cuts within its critical North American operations.

But the loss for the January-March period was smaller than its $1.3 billion loss in the first quarter of 2005. Revenue rose 14 percent and the loss in North America narrowed. GM's shares rose more than 9 percent in midday trading.

The automaker, which lost $10.6 billion in 2005, is in the midst of a major restructuring that calls for cutting 30,000 jobs by 2008.

The first quarter loss amounts to 57 cents per share versus a loss of $2.22 per share a year earlier.

Included in the first-quarter results was a one-time pretax charge of $1 billion for expenses related to a recent settlement that requires hourly retirees to pay more for their health care. GM must contribute $3 billion to a fund for retiree health care by 2011.

GM said its global market share was flat compared with the first quarter of 2005, at 13 percent. GM's U.S. sales were down 5 percent in the January-March period.

GM said its adjusted loss, excluding special items such as the Suzuki sale but including the health care charge, was $529 million, or 94 cents per share.

GM's struggling North American division reported a loss of $946 million, compared with a loss of $1.5 billion a year ago.

GM's financial arm, General Motors Acceptance Corp., earned $605 million for the quarter, down from $728 million a year ago as mortgage earnings took a hit due to higher interest rates. Mortgage earnings slipped by more than half to $206 million. GM recently completed an agreement to sell 51 percent of GMAC to an investor group for $14 billion, but doesn't expect to record revenues from the sale until the fourth quarter.

GM hasn't provided earnings guidance since last April, and Henderson said the company has no plans to provide guidance for the rest of this year. Henderson said it would be inappropriate for GM to issue guidance until it comes to a resolution with auto supplier Delphi Corp. over wages and other issues.

Delphi, GM's former parts division and largest supplier, wants to lower hourly workers' wages and has asked a federal bankruptcy court to throw out its union contracts. Delphi, GM and the United Auto Workers union are in talks about a wage deal that could include payments from GM to supplement wages.

Henderson said the three parties are continuing to talk and he is confident they will reach a resolution without a strike, which could be devastating for GM.

"A Bankruptcy might be an option, we just have to see what happens in the coming weeks"

Reply to
Gosi

I think it was Not Invented Here syndrome. Probably higher cost to produce than other cars in their lineup as well.

Just an anecdote, but if this was happening on a widespread scale... My ex-GF's mom was a die hard Ford person, mostly because her dad worked for Ford so she got a discount. She'd had at least two Tauri in a row, both were POSs which she bitched about incessantly. I told her if she ever got sick enough of it to do something about it to go test drive a Contour and see what she thought.

She went to the dealership to follow my advice, and the salesman WOULD NOT LET HER DRIVE THE CONTOUR, saying that it was too small for her (???? we're not talking about an unusually sized person here; if I can fit in it surely a normal sized woman should have no problems) and she wouldn't be happy with it, unfortunately instead of telling the salesman to f*ck off and going to another dealership she let herself get talked into buying ANOTHER Taurus, which, you guessed it, turned out to be a festering POS.

Meanwhile, the then-GF's friend's mom DID follow my advice and bought a lease return Mistake, which was relatively trouble free. But the Contour/Mistake/Cougar never got updated when Europe went to the Gen. 2 Mondeo platform, and eventually were all discontinued.

I find it hard to believe that any car could be inferior to the Taurus, unless you *like* working on automatic transmissions.

nate

William H. Bowen wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Dave

You forget to say in my opinion. GM buyer apparently have an opinion, unlike yours, that ALL other brands are inferior, it appears Obviously the millions of GM buyers do not think they GM vehicles are inferior or they would not be spending their hard earned money to buy them.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

GM buyer apparently are starting to have an opinion, that ALL GM brands are inferior

Obviously the millions of GM buyers do think their GM vehicles are inferior and they should not be spending their hard earned money to buy them

Reply to
Gosi

You opinion might make sense except for the fact GM is still the number one seller in the country. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Wal-Mart is the number one retailer, does that mean that they sell quality products?

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oh no Nate - you had to go and start another Wal-Mart thread didn't you...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Oddly enough, consumers vote with their feet... and their purchasing dollars.

There are often more sales clerks than customers at my KMART, TARGET, SEARS stores.... but the local WalMart is ALWAYS crowded !

Reply to
Anonymous

WalMart typically sells the same quality product, offered in other stores, for less money. Do most buyer not buy their Toyota from the dealer that offered the lowest price? A buyer can choose to spend as much as they want on a given product. Normally buyers look at what they are getting for their dollar. Is the FWD V6 Lexus 'better quality' than a FWD V6 Camry? Even Toyota lovers choose the Camry. When it comes to which brand of vehicles offers the most for the money, far more buyers in 2005 chose GM, Ford and Chrysler over all others. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter