How many miles can I get out of a chevy Astro van 4.3L

Threaded View

would anybody know....

With light hauling, average driving and some city and some hwy
driving, what is the typical lifespan give or take 50000 miles of the
drivetrain of one of these vans with the Vortec 4.3L?

What breaks first?

Thanks
Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

delik2-------------@shaw.ca

Re: How many miles can I get out of a chevy Astro van 4.3L

Not the same vehicle, but brother has a 1991  S-10 4WD pickup  with a
4.3 litre with 253,000 miles. You've got to maintain to go far.

Good Luck

      Harryface
05 Park Avenue, 32,391
91 Bonneville LE  304,498

Re: How many miles can I get out of a chevy Astro van 4.3L

The sub-contractors at my old place ran Astros for work vehicles. They
held up real well considering most were overloaded 90% of the time. They
usually retired them with about 200,000 miles on them. They were still
running just fine but they got new ones because the high mileage made
them low value trade ins.

-

Re: How many miles can I get out of a chevy Astro van 4.3L

4.3 in a 97 S10 Blazer.. .127k miles so far.

80k: Transmission (was setting slip code, replaced under warranty, not
a normal failure)
80k: A/C Compresssor, winshield wiper control board
102,000 fuel pump
127k Plugs, wires, etc; fuel pressure regulator
Also along hte way.. 50k water pump,
forget the mileages, but I'm on the 4th alternator.

Re: How many miles can I get out of a chevy Astro van 4.3L

It really depends on driving habits and maintainace. 200K plus is very
doable with proper car and usage.

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Re: How many miles can I get out of a chevy Astro van 4.3L

We've got 265k miles on our '94 Astro.  My wife has used it for 10 of
those years on a 30-plus mile per day paper route, as well as driving
it across country (literally) to dog shows, field trials, etc.  I still
use it as a daily driver to and from work (50-plus mile round trip) at
anywhere from 65 to 80 mph.

The only major repair has been a transmission rebuild at about 150,000.
 Other than that its been the normal stuff like water pumps, an
alternator, fuel pump and bunch of brake changes.

Watch for front-end steering components -- idler arms seem to be a high
fail item.

It's been a fantastically reliable vehicle - and we've usually expected
to see nearly 19mpg throughout its lifespan.

Mark

chevy Astro van 4.3L

I am a contractor doing light hauling daily, When I parted with my 92 astro
it had 325,000 KM and still ran strong, no overhaul, same tranny. BTW, I
drive a vehicle hard. I then  gave it to a friend who dove another 35,000 km
and then became plagued with problems. I don't expect that from my 03 astro.
Some how the saying is true, they don't build them like the used to. Shame!

Re: How many miles can I get out of a chevy Astro van 4.3L

my neibor has one with 125,000 miles on it and i mean hard miles

Site Timeline