How much ATF Fluid?

Looking through the owners manual for my 2000 Cavalier 2.2ltr, 4 speed (4T40E) and it says "not owner serviceable". I would like to change the ATF and can't even find the fluid capacity for this transmission on the internet. The filter kit for this transmission is 46.00 here in Canada. Not counting the oil.

How much does this tranny hold? Another question is how hard of a job is this? Done many older vehicles but haven't done one in a while. Should I drain the torque also?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

It's like doing any trans service, drop the pan, clean it, replace the filter, and re-install the pan. The gasket is re-usable, the unit takes about 7 liters of fluid when just servicing it. There is a small plug by the right axle seal on the trans, you pull this out, add fluid to the trans while running in park until it begins to run out this hole, then re-install the plug. Done...

If you can figure out how to...have at her.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks shiden_kai Mike