How to change spark plugs on a Chevy Venture

Threaded View

OK, I gave up this weekend.  As hard as I tried, I could not get to
the rear spark plugs on my 2001 Cheverolet Venture.  These are the
plugs that are on the cylinder bank towards the firewall side of the
engine compartment.  I unbolted the top engine mounts and pulled the
engine as far forward as I could, but I still could not get to the
plugs.  Short of bringing it to a shop, does anyone know the secret in
accessing these plugs?

Thanks

Re: How to change spark plugs on a Chevy Venture

The last time I did a spark plug change on my '01 Montana (the sister-van to
your Venture), I had to put it up on ramps, and get at the rear plugs from
underneath. *Not* a pleasant experience...Just make sure the exhaust isn't
hot, or you may end up burnt.

Re: How to change spark plugs on a Chevy Venture

@n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

it is an adventure getting the back three! for sure.......tilting the
engine forward and getting every extension you have and a ratchet that
swivels will get all three plugs out..........removing the ign. module with
coil packs will help but not neccessary. same with alternator........have
patience grasshopper....good luck next w/e........kjun
--
The Source For Premium  Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

Once you have the dogbone removed and the engine tilted forward... make sure
engine is cold.

First secret is patience.   Second secret... on #1  and 5....   instead of going
in over
the top,  if you have smaller hands  you might try reaching around the end of
the engine
with one hand to loosen the wire, position the rachet  and install the
plug.....while just
reaching over the top for stability and pushing down on the rachet.   It's
cramped but
this allows easier access.    Using a piece of 3/16" vacumn tube on the end of
the plug
allows you to get it started (using thread 'anti seize' makes future changes a
little
easier as does a tiny bit of silicone ' di-electric compound on the inner spark
plug
boot....Just make sure  you hear or feel the plug wire 'click' as it contacts the
plug terminal.

hth

Peter

Site Timeline