How to disable auto ac function?

2004 Venture van. Is it possible to disable the automatic air conditioning function from the air vent control module? Due to the dramatic rising cost of gasoline I'd like to be able to turn on the ac
only when I really need it. I realize that some vent positions do not enable the ac, but my preferred vent position, windshield/dash discharge, causes it to kick in according to pre-determined humidity and temperature settings. Any way to get around this without screwing everything up?
Thanks - Waldo

I put a switch in my dash that controls the power to the compressor. Fairly simple job: switch Closed=normal AC function///switch Open=no power to compressor. The compressor has one wire to it, cut the switch wiring in between that wire. Hope this helps.
Dave S(Texas)
Waldo wrote:

Like DaveS in Texas, I put a on/off switch to the compressor clutch in every GM I have owned. Usually a rocker switch with a green led.
When doing it that way, does the cooling fan come on when in A/C positions? My Grand AM and Grand Prix will turn on the cooling fan. I am assuming all GM products are that way.
When you turn to an AC position you are not really turning on the AC. You are sending an "AC request" to the computer. If every is OK, it will ground the AC and cooling fan solenoids causing them to come on.
What I did is to cut into the wire between the dash switches and the computer that sends the AC request signal. A switch was spliced into this wire. The controls can be put into any position with the AC not coming on until close the switch. On the Grand AM I also rewired the position switch so I can have AC in any position as long as the switch is closed.
The reason did this that when using the defrost positions the windows would fog up real bad after restart.
I don't know why GM does it this way. Perhaps they think that we are not smart enough to push a button when we want AC.

I'm just amazed how often people post desires their to circumvent one of GM's gimmicky "automatic" systems. One would think that GM would learn that many customers simply don't want them and stop installing these annoying gimmicks. One doesn't find posts like these in other manufacturer's Usenet groups. Or people pining for them to be added. GM, wake up! Your customers are making mods to you cars because you're "over-engineering" them with things they don't want!

low-mileage Lesabre every fall(sell it while still under factory warr.). We purposefully seek a Custom vs. the nicer Limited merely to get the manual ac, rather than the Auto-Climate-Control. Many extras on the Ltd. which are *std.* we have to pay for when we buy the Custom, in order to get manual AC. Yep, if we could get the Ltd. w/manual AC, we'd probably buy it instead. s
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Yeah, I'm fed up with many of GM's great, new 'improvements'. Another case in point with the Venture van, and probably other GM products, is the cabin air filters on the air intake system. In the winter time fine powdered snow gets into them and the filter element gets wet and freezes up after the engine is shut off. Also, last winter I had the blower fan freeze up a number of times. I've been driving for over forty-five years and I've never experienced problems like these. I guess that newer is not always better. I think my next vehicle will be something other than GM.
Thanks again everyone for the ac control ideas.
Waldo
sdlomi2 wrote:

"" wrote:
> > > I'm just amazed how often people post desires their to > circumvent one of > > GM's gimmicky "automatic" systems. One would think that GM > would learn > > that many customers simply don't want them and stop > installing these > > annoying gimmicks. One doesn't find posts like these in > other > > manufacturer's Usenet groups. Or people pining for them to > be added. GM, > > wake up! Your customers are making mods to you cars because > you're > > "over-engineering" them with things they don't want! > > >snip<< > Our family is a case exemplifying your assertion. I buy, > for wife, a > low-mileage Lesabre every fall(sell it while still under > factory warr.). We > purposefully seek a Custom vs. the nicer Limited merely to get > the manual > ac, rather than the Auto-Climate-Control. Many extras on the > Ltd. which are > *std.* we have to pay for when we buy the Custom, in order to > get manual AC. > Yep, if we could get the Ltd. w/manual AC, we'd probably > buy it instead. > s
Not as much is gained as some think doing this. Like some said, it helps defrost function a lot. Also you gain may not be as big as you think with some car on the hiway because they are pretty sleek with windows rolled up drag wise and windows down increases drag and fuel consumption some on a hot day.
SnoMan wrote: (turning off a/c)

I find that recirculating the air without a/c on comes in handy. Sitting stopped in rush hour traffic the engine heats up with a/c on, I can turn off the compressor and recirc the cold air for a while. Driving through West Texas dust and sand storms, I can block outside air without using a/c. I can also send air out any vent hole without using the a/c. In other words, my car's a/c works almost like an Asian or Euro import now.
"user" wrote:

If you car overheats in traffic with A/C on, fix it. None of mine do because the last thing I want to do on a hot day in traffic is sit in a hot car and and recirculate my "sweat". If my wifes 2000 Cherokee with a 4cyl keeps its cool and yours on the hottest day in traffic.
SnoMan wrote:

I've gone through everything to no avail. The only thing I can think of is poor design with one small fan on one side of a large radiator. Air temp 2' above freeway about 100-130F. When engine temp reaches 220-230, I switch the a/c off. Speed 0-10 mph for about 10 miles. I am open to suggestions.
Um... top posting easier for this message:
You are correct. I don't actually intercept the wire going to the compressor. I use the wire off of the dash control which signals the computer which signals the relays for compressor and fan. And power for the led (with a current limiting resistor) is right there, also. Paul.