How to dispose of used anti-freeze and brake fluid ??

Lots of recycling places around here take used oil but I haven't seen anything for used anti-freeze.
What's the best way to dispose of a few gallons ??
Thanks !!
Peter
| | Lots of recycling places around here take used oil but I haven't | seen anything for used anti-freeze. | | What's the best way to dispose of a few gallons ?? | | Thanks !! | | Peter |
The waste water department where I live said to put it down the commode. The treatment plant will handle it okay. According to them it is not any worse than the gallons of sewer cleaner that is put down peoples drains every day.
--
Jarhead

Yup. Same here.
Peter wrote:

Most of the places that do coolant flushes are required to accept it just like oil change outfits take oil. They can limit how much you bring in though.
--
Steve W.

Most city/county governments have an Enviromental department these days. Call and ask where used antifreeze can be dropped-off for recycling. Flushing it into the waste-water/sewer system is a bad idea.....
Dave S(Texas)

Antifreeze, whether propylene glycol or ethylene glycol, is rather easily biodegraded either in nature, or especially by the biological systems that most cities have in place. Really, it isnt that bad of an idea, if it is legal in your area.
Brake fluid is a bit harder to biodegrade in nature, but a well functioning biodegradation system will likely take care of it. It is not likely to be recycled in any case, although some companies may collect it for disposal. I would have no qualms about taking a couple of pints out to my farm and incinerating it.
Peter wrote:

I've had pretty good luck getting independent radiator shops and even a Sir Speedy Lube and Tune place to take 1-3 gallons for me. We also have a once per year hazardous waste day at the local "waste transfer station" where it can be dropped off.
There certainly should be more places to drop the stuff off for proper recycling!
John