how to remove distributor from engine ??

It's a 1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette APV with the 3.1 engine..... 112,000 miles
I'd like to replace the distributor housing 'O' ring as it seems to be leaking
oil. The distributor shaft turns from side to side, but I can't get it to pull up out of the engine and am reluctant to place a lot of upward pressure on it. Are there any hints or tips on freeing it up.
(yes, I have removed the bolt and hold down clamp.).
Also, has anyone replaced the half shaft??? How difficult a job is it ??? Any special tools necessary..... a saturday morning job or should I plan a few coffee breaks into it ???
thanks in advance for your help !!!!
Its got carbon and residue holding it in , just keep working on it. Go to autozone.com/repairinfo for good instructions on the axle.

-

Thanks !! I'll keep at it !!!
and thanks for recommending autozone....it's a pretty good source of info.....
Peter

A little squirt of carb cleaner should help dissolve the grunge.
Make sure the new O-ring is the tan colored one, available thru GM or off of the MotorMite board at your FLAPS.

Hi Neil, how ya doing....it's been awhile.... I think I last spoke with you several years ago about removing the spark plug boots from the rear side of a 3.1
I did pick up the "O" ring, tan colored ...dealer item cost about $3.50.
Neil, what kind of labor time am I looking at for R/R the half shaft... having never done one before .....
Thanks !!
Peter

Hi Peter, Doing fine...

Flat rate is probably about an hour. Pretty straight forward, remove the axle nut, remove the lower ball joint pinch bolt, you can remove the brake caliper and rotor if you need the room, turn the steering so that the tie rod end on that side is all the way outboard, pry the lower control arm down till the ball joint stud pops free, (you may want to disconnect the sway bar so you're not fighting it) give the outboard end of the axle a couple of taps with a soft faced hammer, then swing the strut/knuckle outwards until the half shaft pops free from the wheel bearing, pop the half shaft out of the transaxle. When you go to slide the new half shaft in; the inner spline of the half shaft has a wire cir-clip, you want the split in the cir-clip at the top (12 o'clock) with the split pushed down in the groove, if the split is above the top of the spline, you'll fight it going in.

Good luck!