How to remove Hose Clamps and quick disconnect from heater core

Howdy, Howdy, Howdy...
I'm replacing the Heater Core on a 1992 Chevy Lumina. Pretty easy but there are two problems...that I'd appreciate a little advice on.
How does one grab and release the spring clamp on the Heater core inlet and outlet hoses. I can't seem to reach them with anything (a longer arm would help) and the clamp ends are so close to each other that I can't grab them with a vise grip or hose clamp pliers. Do you techs use a special tool or a very long handled needle nose?
#2 ... one hose has a quick disconnect fitting on the end, connecting onto an engine pipe. Is there a special tool or method for removing this ??
Thanking you in advance....
Peter
Disconnect the dogbone mounts and block the engine forward, much better access to the hoses.

Peter wrote:

Yep, I use a special tool that is designed to hook onto those spring clamps. In really tight quarters, there is another tool that basically is the same as the one I have, but it has long flexible cables. You can hook it onto the spring clamp and then release the tension on the clamp from a more comfortable position. I used to use regular pliers, but they don't work well, and you can also damage the spring clamp so that it does not have the correct tension when re-installed.
Here is a picture of what these tools look like:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/may28655.html

Usually...you can just press the two plastic tangs toward the pipe and remove the quick connect. If you look closely at the connection, you can figure out how it works.
Ian
Thanks for providing the information Ian...... it helps alot....
I appreciate that you the time to help out an amateur, I find that working on cars (as a hobby) is fun, but it sometimes gets so frustrating when one doesn't have the information or the hints and tips that make the job go smoothly.
Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge !!
Peter
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:42:08 GMT, "shiden_kai"

Peter wrote

No problem.....I understand completely..I'm always amazed that amateur techs can get so much done. If I had to work with less then good conditions and tools, I'd probably rather not. Of course, I'm quite lazy by nature...(grin)

You are most welcome...
Ian
YOU shiden_kai, are my HERO!!!!! I love finding new tools to do stuff easier!!!!
Eightupman

Channel Locks is what I used on my Corsica....damn plastic heater core crap......and why are you removing the hose off the engine side??
Should be able to reach all underneath the car.

longer
can't
special
onto

This is an APV (mini van) ..... the clamps are way down on the fireware between the strut tower and the engine. Not a lot of clearance, plus the original spring clamps are oriented so that the arms are blocking acess . Can't access them from down under either. Ian suggested the best tool for the job where the access is extremely limited. (working smarter not harder ).
I'm replacing both inlet and outlet hoses as they probably are original and about 12 years old. Time for replacement. This means disconnecting the quick disconnect coupling without creating additional problems for myself. (or creating future leaks).
Thanks.... ( I don't have the heater core out yet.... but it's probably brass. 12 years is pretty good for a heater core.). Hope the plastic replacement lasts as long, but if it doesn't, the next time I do this will be easier, thanks to the lessons learned this time around !!!
Peter

Reading your post, the old time-honored phrase leaps to mind: "If it aint' broke, don't fix it" Adhering to this true maxim, may be your 'lesson learned' if you continue. IMO :)
Dave S(Texas)
Ah...that 'splains it then........damn minivans.......LOL
wrote:

between the strut

clamps are

access is

and about 12

(or creating

brass. 12 years

as long, but

lessons learned

I doubt like hell your heater core is brass. Plastic tanks and aluminum core is more like it. Very common to break the pipes off the tanks trying to remove hoses in tight spaces that are welded on after twelve years..
Best Of Luck
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,726 miles_~_~_