How to remove sender unit from gas tank.

Hello Folks. Chevy Van 20 Series, 1979, 350 V8

I've removed gas tank .. going to put new one in to hopefully solve problem of rust blocking tiny inline filter inside Rochester carb.

How do I remove sender unit, etc. from tank ? I understand circular flange turns, probably counter-clockwise, to remove .. but which part to put drift on and hammer out ?

so far old tank looks pretty good + clean inside - what I can see . Hose connecting to inlet of tank ( large diameter filler hose ) showed rust on inside, possibly indicating rust is generated at horizontal metal filler pipe just before tank.

If this is the case, what's a good way to clean + prevent reocurrence of rust here ?

Please reply to NG. Thanks,

-JS

Reply to
Question Authority

Hammer on the big 'ring', as it's what turns. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

The retainer ring has tabs sticking up that you need to tap on. Make sure you free the ring first, any rust,sealer or other crud will cause the ring to bind and BEND. Just go around it and clean it good and spray some lube on it as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for advice. A bit of penetrating oil on first + then GENTLE tapping on tabs got it off.

Now I'm trying to figure out if sock filter on end of fuel pickup tube can come off to be replaced.

-JS

Reply to
Question Authority

We just replaced the fuel pump in our 1995 Chevy blazer, and yes that sock filter does come off. When we replaced the fuel pump we also replaced the sock filter. Cost something like $7.00.

Carol

Reply to
dnysis