How to replace/repair burned up A/C Clutch?

Vehicle: 1985 GMC S-15 w/2.8L V6 engine
A couple of months ago after letting this vehicle sit for over a year, I went to have the A/C system recharged with refrigerant. Unfortunately on the
way home from the shop I heard an awful noise coming from under the hood, turned the A/C off after about 4 minutes of hearing this noise, and upon arriving home found the clutch mounted on the front of the A/C compressor almost glowing hot. Apparently a seal somewhere in the system was not in good enough shape to withstand a recharge. My question is - what do I do at this point? Does this mean the compressor itself has been damaged or just the clutch? If just the clutch, can I replace it idependently of the compressor or do they come as a unit? The Haynes manual appears to show it as a unit. The clutch has a bolt in the center of it, is this what holds it onto the compressor? Will I have to get the system de-pressurized to fix this problem? What I am trying to decide here is whether this is something I can do on my own or if I have to take this to the professional again with more money.
Here's a link to a photo of what I have, showing the center bolt of the clutch:
http://web.infoave.net/~BN_cbrown/accompressor.jpg
Casey
The components are replaceable, however, it sounds like you may have a siezed compressor.
Steve

the
at
it

a pictures worth a thousand words!........i would also suggest the comp. is locked up or severily binding...you can put a socket on the center bolt and try to turn the actual comp........if and when you replace comp. be sure to at least inspect orfice tube for contamination. it will prob be full of alum chips that are suppose to still be part of your R-4......a good job would include NEW comp., accumulator, orfice tube, flush, clean condensor, and check cooling fan operation. pay attention to oil amount and type B4 charging syst.........kjun
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to take it back to the shop, I don't have the tools or know-how to attemp a full system replacement. I'll probably wait till next spring to do that. I would assume that the system is no longer under pressure due to the failure, right?
Casey

is
and

unless it had a massive leak it is still under pressure.........kjun
There ARE pullers made for A/C clutches; I needed one once when the bearings failed in the clutch on my old Chevy van. However, as others have said, that does seem to be the least of your troubles ... I agree you seem to need a new compressor.
-= Larry A.