How to replace the fuel filter?

The best fix for those scored cylinder walls was a 350 or 400 inch small block swapped in place. Talk about a major sleeper. Sometimes I wish I still owned one. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Not to mention that it'll take a really big hammer to trigger the inertia switch by hitting the bumper. Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message news:O1fPd.60391$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga...

I was more fond of small journal forged steel crank 283's and 327's. There is a 76 GT camback wagon in the garage with a 283 on an engine stand. It will be my 10th V-8 Vega, I plan to keep this one till hell freezes over. The Cosworth Vega has become a major collectors item. I always wanted one of those. But not to beat the original 2.4ltr. Paterson magazines took one, bored it and sleeved it, sent the cylinder head to Dugan industries in LA for a rework, mounted a set of hooker headers and a Clifford research 4 bbl manifold with a Holly 550 CFM spread bore carb and got a respectable 270 hp out of it. Remember this was back in 1975. They then replaced the carb and manifold with a twin Weber DOHC side draft set up, more lift on the cam, and boosted the hp 305., all normally aspirated, no turbos, no blowers, and no nitro oxide. I always preferred the wagons. They looked better to me, and the chassis was three times stiffer and they just launched better. The 76 in the garage is the first one I have owned with the modified three link set up with track arm going to the tranny tail shaft. I know how to make the old four link set up launch without wheel hopping (the first one I built wheel hopped so bad you could put 2ltr coke bottle in front of the wheels and I could jump them, really rough on the spider gears) so this one is going to be a learning experience. I need the front cowl, and bottom fairing for a 73 or older, I hate the slope nose look of the later models, I don't care if they are more aero, I want that mini camero look of the 71-73. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Vega was one of the cars that Chevy tried using recycled steel on, same as ford did during the same years, only they used it on trucks, ever seen an early 70's ford truck with an intact roof? Chrysler tried the stuff on their luxury cars , remember how fast New Yorkers and Newports rusted? But back then you could find Vegas for $300 with a bad motor. Pick up a turbo 350 tranny and a small block 350 for another $300 and for under a grand when you were all done have a very very fast car that could embarrass the hell out of mustangs, cameros that cost much more, and they handled pretty damn good as well, brakes were a bit lacking tho.. If you were handy, you could set up a clutch set up that worked and run a 4 speed, and then you could force the car through turns. Imagine the joy of a 2,200 lb car with a 4 speed and a 300+ real ponies hp engine, at age 18, in Germany where there were no speed limits on the autobahn. even more fun was out running german cars on twisty mountain roads because you could just walk away from them coming out of the turns going up the grades. But the best was being told you could no longer compete against the corvettes by the club board in the slolam races they set up in parking lots on different bases once a month, because you were embarrassing the club every time you won. Ahh the good ole days. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Uh-oh... ...you had one too?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Nah, a large steel faced hammer will do the trick and one good whack! -- ever tried it? I've done this to (auto techs) friends Ford products as a prank!

BBA

Reply to
Billy Bad Assr©

Whatever turns your tires, Whitelightning. Is OK with me. Just an observation of mine, that the bodies of those things seemed to go bad way too soon relative to the power train. I guess I notice things like that since I live up in the rust belt. Body integrity is an issue up here, more so probably than elsewhere. =Every= Vega I ever saw looked like it was not only shot at, but hit.

Everything rusts up here. But some go faster than others, and those Vegas were horrible. So were some Buicks I've owned in the past. Not picking on that car in particular. I was even unlucky enough to own a Pinto at one point in my life. Best not to remember that though.

I used to buy cars for anywhere between $20 and $300 and fix em up. The money I put into fixing them up paid itself back many times over. Then again, some where in such bad shape, I would have to pop-rivet aluminum panels on them to keep the weather out and gophers from building nests in the door panels.

Can't do that anymore though. These days there are speed limits on the autobahn. Not to mention too much traffic to get up to speed.

The best thing about the good ole days was the price of gasoline. 25 cents / gallon. Can't think of much else though.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Sure did Neil and it was a blast to drive. Didn't stop or steer for shit but when you stood on the loud pedal you'd better be ready.......lol. Let's hear about yours.... Don't still have it do you? Bob Bob

Reply to
Bob

My wife had one before we got married. IIRC (I tried to forget that car) it was a 72, a wagon, red. I spent -way- to much time fixing that thing, the head gasket always knew to blow in the winter, didn't have indoor work space so I had to beg and borrow a warm place to do it.

I wanted to swap in an aluminum Buick 215 V-8 but the body dissolved before I ever got the chance.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hehe....

Can Hear Every Valve Rap On Long Extended Trips Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time

did u know 80 percent of chevys are still on the road... the other 20 percent made it home

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I have not seen any vehicles with 100 psi fuel press. before. If this is the press. then check the fuel return line for kinks or the pressure regulator. As for changing the fuel filter. I slowly loosen the the line connections and get out of the way while the pressure bleeds down. Do make sure there are not hot lights or flames nearby!!!! Then I replace it. I then turn on and off about 4 times the ign. key to pressure up the system and start it.

Reply to
Mel Newman