Hurst Dual Gate Shifter.

Hey all, I just got a '68 GTO with the Dual Gate (his/hers) shifter. I can't figure out how to work it. I just want to see if its broken or if I am doing something wrong. Anyone with any knowledge of the
his/hers shifter please speak up.
When I put it to the "his" side, it shifts up and down, BUT, I thought this was supposed to keep you from hitting the wrong gears or going into neutral. If I am in first and slap it up, it can go all the way up to neutral. Shouldn't it stop me in second.
There are some notches on the right side, so if I push hard to the right while pushing it up, the notch stops it, which I assume is how its supposed to work. But it stops it before it goes into second, so that is useless. If I go to the next notch it goes all the way to third.
How is it really supposed to work. Someone told me that it was a ratchet style shifter, which if so, mine is definitely broken.
Any advice would be appreciated.
It's NOT a ratchet shifter. Just a cheesy gimmick shifter for console automatics. Yours is working like it should. Former owner of a '68 goat auto. , fun car 'till the ex wife totaled it.

Lostwave wrote:

It isn't a ratchet style. The left side is a normal auto shift. The right side is the "trick" part. On that side you need to move through the notches to select gears.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

You are correct in pushing to the right to hit the stops. I have one in my '72 442. I was bummed the first time I used it because it wasn't as slick as it looked.
NoTop442
visit us at www.cyrusnet.com/~notop442