Hurst Dual Gate Shifter.

Hey all, I just got a '68 GTO with the Dual Gate (his/hers) shifter. I can't figure out how to work it. I just want to see if its broken or if I am doing something wrong. Anyone with any knowledge of the his/hers shifter please speak up.

When I put it to the "his" side, it shifts up and down, BUT, I thought this was supposed to keep you from hitting the wrong gears or going into neutral. If I am in first and slap it up, it can go all the way up to neutral. Shouldn't it stop me in second.

There are some notches on the right side, so if I push hard to the right while pushing it up, the notch stops it, which I assume is how its supposed to work. But it stops it before it goes into second, so that is useless. If I go to the next notch it goes all the way to third.

How is it really supposed to work. Someone told me that it was a ratchet style shifter, which if so, mine is definitely broken.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Lostwave

It's NOT a ratchet shifter. Just a cheesy gimmick shifter for console automatics. Yours is working like it should. Former owner of a '68 goat auto. , fun car 'till the ex wife totaled it.

Reply to
Repairman

It isn't a ratchet style. The left side is a normal auto shift. The right side is the "trick" part. On that side you need to move through the notches to select gears.

Reply to
Steve W.

You are correct in pushing to the right to hit the stops. I have one in my '72 442. I was bummed the first time I used it because it wasn't as slick as it looked.

NoTop442

visit us at

NoTop442