I am looking for OFFICIAL confirmation the GM fixed the head gasket

Page 1 of 3
Ok, when did GM changed the head gasket on their 3.4 and other motors? My 2000 venture had the problem. I want to know if later model years minivan have the same problems
So, I am looking for two things:
1) OFFICIAL confirmation that they actually changed its design. Something credible, please.
2) Is there any recent report that the fix (new design) works?
Can someone help?
Thanks
The intake was the problem here, is this your question?

-

I think it was the intake gasket that busted (but I am not sure).
Check with your GM parts dept when the latest gasket and updated bolts and torque specs were released, I think it was about 2 years ago.

-
Frank wrote:

GM seems to be very hush hush in public about this whole mess. I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for.
John

Hush hush about what?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

asbestos,
Most sites say the design is a problem, and the gasket made it worse. NOT all the other companies had problems of the same magnitude.

asbestos,
Mike - you've beaten this to death, and you're still wrong. For one - it is the design that is flawed. The design includes the materials specified. What ever replaced asbestos was a specified material - that is a design issue. Get over it.
Yes, the other manufacturers did have similar issues - but not for 10 freakin' years. '03 and '04 model year GM's are still experiencing the same gasket problems as earlier 90's vintage vehicles. That's far past any reasonable tolerance for developing substitute materials. You are right - you have to *search* to find the same problems with the other manufacturers. GM is the big hold out company when it comes to prolonging this consumer rip off.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
The fact concerning the numerous gasket problems, after the asbestos ban, are well know in the industry. You certainly are still entitled to your own opinion, however. ;)
mike hunt

own
No opinion Mike. Read what I wrote again and provide something that even remotely resembles a valid argument against it. No one has ever disputed the fact that manufacturers were caught by the asbestos ban - the issue, as it has been stated here many times, is that GM stands pretty much alone in how long after the ban they continue to have gasket problems.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Poor Mr. Hunter probably isn't even collecting a paycheck or other favors from GM for his endless boosterism. Certainly there are folks on the 'net who do so, but he strikes me as a freelancer who makes excuses for GM no matter what.
John

Mike's certainly the last of the great defenders of GM, but what he doesn't realize is that there are a lot of us out here like myself who really do like GM products, but we don't put blinders on with respect to their problems. Some of the GM issues are things that people like myself have elected to live with as just a part of the way things are - really no different than any other manufacturer. They all have their bug-a-boo's. Some of the things aren't so easy to just live with - at least to the point that even a steadfast GM advocate admits that they should rightfully have done something to correct an issue by now. The intake gasket issue falls into the later category in my opinion.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Agreed Mike. But one must concede that those gasket problems are a fairly serious issue, or at least can quickly lead to very serious issues.
Fortunately, my GM engine isn't at risk for that. I worry for those that it is though.
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:41:41 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I agree, that's why I say that they fall into the category that GM should have done something about and that even a good old GM bigot like myself can't whitewash.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I'm not defending anybody, I am simply presenting the proper facts concerning gasket failures that happen to most every manufacture, not only GM.
If could have been worse had the gasket manufacture prevailed. The gasket manufactures argued in court that any engine damaged by a leaking head gasket was 'owner neglect!' The head gasket did not fail catastrophically, but over time. As the material inside began to shrink the metal cover was consumed by the combustion process and the gasket would begin to weep coolant into the engine. Any owner who provided the proper preventive maintenance SHOULD have noticed the coolant loss and had the vehicle inspected for the cause.. If they had done so the casket could have been replaced long before there was damage to the engine. They were willing to cover the cost of gasket replacement but not any resulting engine failure caused by coolant contamination of the oil. The out of court settlement place 80% of the cost on the gasket manufactures and their insurance companies and 20% on the engine manufactures. Each manufacture provide warranty extension, based on which gasket using which material in place of asbestos, for a specific time and or milage.
mike hunt

Perhaps initially but no other manufacturer has the problems to the degree that GM does Mike. If they do, they are not getting the publicity that GM is and that's just not likely.

gasket
catastrophically,
Warranty extension? Where are you getting this from Mike? GM has not announced any warranty extensions and has not covered the cost of any of my gasket replacements.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I guess they don't like you, but hey I don't wonder why, look at how often you bad mouth them in this NG. LOL
mike hunt

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:07:59 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I completely agree. GM had more than enough time to redesign a better solution. It is almost as if they WANTED the design to remain crappy. Maybe they realized, even if quite by accident, that the failures were in large part happening after warranty and thus were providing some great repair revenue. Yes, that is a conspiracy theory, not a conspiracy fact. But you have to wonder why such a quality problem would be allowed to persist.
Actually the manufacture specs the product it asks the gasket maker to provide. The gasket maker designed the gasket to meet those specs, but the product did not hold up over time. ;)
mike hunt