I am looking for OFFICIAL confirmation the GM fixed the head gasket

Ok, when did GM changed the head gasket on their 3.4 and other motors? My 2000 venture had the problem. I want to know if later model years minivan have the same problems

So, I am looking for two things:

1) OFFICIAL confirmation that they actually changed its design. Something credible, please.

2) Is there any recent report that the fix (new design) works?

Can someone help?

Thanks

Reply to
Frank

Shep

GM seems to be very hush hush in public about this whole mess. I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for.

John

Reply to
John Horner

What problem?

Newsgroups are typically poor places for OFFICIAL confirmations from manufacturers.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hush hush about what?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes, but NGs are great places to be refered to a more official news site: CNN, etc...

I guess I could check the part number on my 2000 venture and see if the number is the same for later models, but it may not be an accurate method...

Also, I got my intake head gasket (??) changed 2 years ago and want to make sure that they replaced it with something more durable...

Oh, well. If GM could simply reassure (burned) customers.... that would be nice for a chance.

Reply to
Frank

I think it was the intake gasket that busted (but I am not sure).

Reply to
Frank

Intake manifold gaskets. I figured this is what you meant, but it doesn't hurt to make sure when a post is as vague as yours was. Official? Well, I wouldn't call it official, but there are replacement gaskets available that are "supposed" to do the trick. I've replaced these gaskets and haven't had a failure since, but then again the engine is going to need to put another

40,000 miles or so on it before I'd even expect to see the problem show up - often times much more than that.

Yes it would, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you are looking for a car that is free of all problems you won't find it. Unfortunately government regulations on car manufacturers have had them scrambling for ways to improve gas mileage, improve EPA standards ,etc. The problem is that they have to go to unproved engineering methods and the only way to find if they work is mass production and time. And if you expect them to warranty your car forever you are dreaming....

Reply to
Woody

Not sure why you posted this reply. It certainly has nothing to do with my comments which you replied to, and has no more to do with the OP's comments. Perhaps you just wanted to vent?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

In the words of Rick Wagoner: "History shows you don't know what the future brings."

Reply to
Al Bundy

The design was not the problem, the material inside, that replaced asbestos, was the problem. GM, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler; Ford etc. all had numerous gasket problems after the feds banned asbestos without allowing the gasket manufactures time to develop a proper substitute. Do a search of Ford V Raybestos the gasket manufacture for all the details, but every gasket manufacture ahs improved the gaskets that they are provide to the engine manufactures today.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Shep

Most sites say the design is a problem, and the gasket made it worse. NOT all the other companies had problems of the same magnitude.

Reply to
<HLS

=

Mike - you've beaten this to death, and you're still wrong. For one - it is the design that is flawed. The design includes the materials specified. What ever replaced asbestos was a specified material - that is a design issue. Get over it.

Yes, the other manufacturers did have similar issues - but not for 10 freakin' years. '03 and '04 model year GM's are still experiencing the same gasket problems as earlier 90's vintage vehicles. That's far past any reasonable tolerance for developing substitute materials. You are right - you have to *search* to find the same problems with the other manufacturers. GM is the big hold out company when it comes to prolonging this consumer rip off.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

None are perfect, but some vehicles and makers are much more trouble prone than others.

John

Reply to
John Horner

The fact concerning the numerous gasket problems, after the asbestos ban, are well know in the industry. You certainly are still entitled to your own opinion, however. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion as to which is 'much more' dependable, but I guess it depend one ones definition of 'much more.' Many are want to tell others how 'much more' dependable are the vehicles sold by brand 'X.' When one looks at the total sales figures of brand 'A,' 'B,' and 'C' they discover brand 'A,' 'B,' and 'C' sell far more vehicles than brand 'X.' Apparently more buyers believe 'A,' 'B,' or 'C' are 'much more' reliable than brand 'X' since they choose brand 'A,' 'B,' and 'C' rather than brand 'X' when it comes time to plunk down their hard earned money ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If we are talking about the intake manifold to head gasket here, I think that the whole problem could have been avoided by having a re-torque procedure.

Long before I started reading about this problem on news groups, I saw a little coolant leak at the intake manifold gasket on my 93 3.1. I removed the plenum and re-torque the bolts. Some were very loose. I have not had any problems since. It took about an hour and required a new set of plenum gaskets.

I know that re-torqueing is an old concept, but if it works, why not. Note that they had a retorque scheduled at 6,000 miles for the throttle body.

If GM were smart they could have figured this out and have a re-torque as a maintenance item and/or a recall and avoided this.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

No opinion Mike. Read what I wrote again and provide something that even remotely resembles a valid argument against it. No one has ever disputed the fact that manufacturers were caught by the asbestos ban - the issue, as it has been stated here many times, is that GM stands pretty much alone in how long after the ban they continue to have gasket problems.

Reply to
Mike Marlow