I am looking for OFFICIAL confirmation the GM fixed the head gasket

Page 2 of 3

the
I guess GM should have gone to the same gasket outsourcer that Ford did, and Chrysler, and Honda, and Toyota, and... and... and. Continuing to repeat this irrelevant point does nothing to make it relevant Mike.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

What problem?

Newsgroups are typically poor places for OFFICIAL confirmations from manufacturers.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yes, but NGs are great places to be refered to a more official news site: CNN, etc...
I guess I could check the part number on my 2000 venture and see if the number is the same for later models, but it may not be an accurate method...
Also, I got my intake head gasket (??) changed 2 years ago and want to make sure that they replaced it with something more durable...
Oh, well. If GM could simply reassure (burned) customers.... that would be nice for a chance.

Intake manifold gaskets. I figured this is what you meant, but it doesn't hurt to make sure when a post is as vague as yours was. Official? Well, I wouldn't call it official, but there are replacement gaskets available that are "supposed" to do the trick. I've replaced these gaskets and haven't had a failure since, but then again the engine is going to need to put another 40,000 miles or so on it before I'd even expect to see the problem show up - often times much more than that.

Yes it would, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
If you are looking for a car that is free of all problems you won't find it. Unfortunately government regulations on car manufacturers have had them scrambling for ways to improve gas mileage, improve EPA standards ,etc. The problem is that they have to go to unproved engineering methods and the only way to find if they work is mass production and time. And if you expect them to warranty your car forever you are dreaming....

it.
The
only
them
Not sure why you posted this reply. It certainly has nothing to do with my comments which you replied to, and has no more to do with the OP's comments. Perhaps you just wanted to vent?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Woody wrote:

None are perfect, but some vehicles and makers are much more trouble prone than others.
John
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion as to which is 'much more' dependable, but I guess it depend one ones definition of 'much more.' Many are want to tell others how 'much more' dependable are the vehicles sold by brand 'X.' When one looks at the total sales figures of brand 'A,' 'B,' and 'C' they discover brand 'A,' 'B,' and 'C' sell far more vehicles than brand 'X.' Apparently more buyers believe 'A,' 'B,' or 'C' are 'much more' reliable than brand 'X' since they choose brand 'A,' 'B,' and 'C' rather than brand 'X' when it comes time to plunk down their hard earned money ;)
mike hunt

Mike Marlow wrote:

In the words of Rick Wagoner: "History shows you don't know what the future brings."
If we are talking about the intake manifold to head gasket here, I think that the whole problem could have been avoided by having a re-torque procedure.
Long before I started reading about this problem on news groups, I saw a little coolant leak at the intake manifold gasket on my 93 3.1. I removed the plenum and re-torque the bolts. Some were very loose. I have not had any problems since. It took about an hour and required a new set of plenum gaskets.
I know that re-torqueing is an old concept, but if it works, why not. Note that they had a retorque scheduled at 6,000 miles for the throttle body.
If GM were smart they could have figured this out and have a re-torque as a maintenance item and/or a recall and avoided this.

New procedure uses new bolts w/gaskets and is a torque plus 30deg. as the new bolts are a stretch type to hold the manifold. '01 & 02' 3.1 in my little fleet.

Repairman wrote:

The new procedure does not include any torque/turn procedure. There are revised torque specs, but 30 degrees isn't one of them.
Ian
GM has a TSB about the new design gaskets and the new bolts for it. The new gaskets have a different interior core and different fiber compound to hold them together when the head/intake moves around.
Technical Bulletin 8/03 Information is from best available sources and is accurate at the time of publication.
Engine Oil or Coolant Leak For 1996-2003 GM 3.1 & 3.4L VIN J & E Engines.
The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information regarding engine oil or coolant leaks for 1996-2003 GM 3.1 or 3.4L VIN J & E engines. The cause of this problem is related to a void in the intake manifold seal.
GM has designed a new intake manifold gasket (Part #89017279) to help resolve the above-mentioned condition. The material used in the revised gasket has been changed in order to improve the sealing qualities of the gasket. When replacing the gasket, the intake manifold attaching bolts must also be renewed. These revised bolts have a pre-applied thread locking compound. These bolts are available with Part #11588915 for the shorter bolt and Part #11588914 for the longer bolt. Before the installation of the intake, clean all intake manifold and block surfaces of any debris and oils.
NOTICE: An oil leak may result if the vertical bolts are not tightened before the diagonal bolts. Diagonal bolts may require a crows foot tool to tighten.
1. Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts to 62 in/lbs. (7 N-m). 2. Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts to 62 in/lbs. (7 N-m). 3. Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts to 115 in/lbs. (13 N-m). 4. Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts to 18 ft/lbs. (25 N-m).
--
Steve Williams

"Frank" < snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
I think I have read that the after market gasket maker, Felpro, has a gasket which is rock solid for this application. Anyone else know about that?

I've heard the same thing but I've not used them yet. I didn't hear about Felpro until recently and I've always used OEM gaskets up until now. I hadn't heard about the torqing and new bolt thing either, so this has actually been a pretty good thread for shedding some information. I know the local Chevy dealer has been re-using the bolts right up until very recently, so mabye this is a new TSB.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote:

Yes, FelPro has a line of problem solver gaskets, coverage is 5.0/5.7 Chevy V-8s, 3.1/3.4 Chevy V-6s and the 4.3 Chevy V-6. (no 3800 as of yet AFAIK)
The gasket uses a steel backbone instead of the OEM design plastic, the steel backbone is covered with coolant/oil resistant rubber instead of the OEM style rubber inserts. They're pricey compared to the OEM style stuff, the gaskets are sold in a set which typically contains: 2 manifold gaskets Upper plenum O-ring style gasket Throttle body gasket 1 valve cover gasket Fuel fitting O-rings Distributor base gasket 1 small tube of black RTV
So far, no come backs.
Thank you much for that info. No telling when that might just come in useful for some poor sod with a ailing gasket.

I resemble that remark! And thanks much for all the info!
Larry A. (and his leaking-gasket POS 3.4 Impala)
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:23:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote:

Neil Nelson wrote:

We've had these in the dealership for a few months now. Not the Felpro gaskets, (though, no doubt they are identical), but GM has released this style of gasket. Nothing yet for the 3.1/3/4 engines tho....other then their last update.
Ian
Long time no see, Ian :)
Long time lurker !