I ran injector cleaner through my caddy, now it runs like crap

89 caddy, ran ok before, but now it sputters intermittently and power is way down after running some injector cleaner in a full tank of gas. Sometimes it's running good and others it starts to run horribly. It barely stays running at idle when running bad.

Could it be something simple like clogged fuel filter or did I screw up something big time? I can't even find the fuel filter. Anyone have a hint as to where it is?

thanks guys

Reply to
<no

This sounds like a vehicle without basic maintenance. Yes, a fuel filter could cause those problems and it could even ruin your expensive fuel pump, a repair worth more than the car itself.

Reply to
eddy eagle

Well it very well could be... I only recently bought it and it's old as the hills. Can anyone suggest a path to troubleshoot this? Is there a place I can disconnect the fuel into the engine to see if I get enough fuel flowing? I'm so poor right now I can't even afford a manual so I certainly can't afford an expensive dead fuel pump.

Reply to
<no

Isn't the fuel filter on most vehicles located between the engine and the fuel pump? If that is so, how could it ruin the pump if its after it?

Reply to
twins0203

Well, the thinking goes that excess back pressure, caused by a plugged fuel filter, will overwork & result in the untimely death of the pump. So far, I've only seen anecdotal evidence, but it does seem to make (common) sense.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

Firstly and most importantly:

The electric fuel pumps, are a vane pump configuration. With an extremely tight tolerance, which causes a high amount of heat. Similar to an air cut off tool. Back pressure is their worst enemy!

Secondly: Putting injector cleaner in the tank, only succeeds to loosen up all the shit, rust and water saturated dirt at the bottom of the tank. Much of which is smaller than one micron, which the pump strainer doesn't filter to one micron. So you've just succeeded in sending an abrasive compound through the tank, which scratches the bakelite vanes, and the polished cylinder. that alone causes a loss in pressure and volume.

thirdly: You just sent all the dormant garbage in the tank through, the pump, and into the fuel filter. Scratching the internal workings of the pump, clogging the strainer and starving the pump for fuel and causing it to run hotter. Also, you've forced this pudding of "SHIT" into the fuel filter, that can only filter to one micron at best, and farther down the line and into the injectors!

Refinish King

PS Do you still think that snakeoil on the store shelves works?

View this thread:

Refinish King

What you say makes sense RK. Seems that the injector cleaner is also the bottom of the tank sludge detacher. Anyway, I have read that modern formulas sold in most (all?) parts of the U.S. already contain a bit of injecotr cleaning detergents etc. Therefore, a bottle of injector cleaner isn't likely to help anyway. Thoughts?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I used to use a gasoline that claimed to have cleaners in it.

I ended up going to the dealer to get the injectors cleaned, as they were all clogged (5 were down 1 psi, the other was down 4 psi).

Reply to
Brad Clarke

So far:

The only things I've found that work, and don't loosen the stool in the tank are:

1: BG 44K $$19.00 a can 2: Penray Injector cleaner and fuel treatment $17.00 a bottle 3: Chevron Techron $4.95 a bottle, and just more of an already good additive package.

The others contain alcohol, which loosens the water based sludge in the tank.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

PS The best way to clean an injector, is to run an injector cleaning cycle or two, with an injector cleaning kit. Anywhere from $59.95 for shit, plus chemicals, to $1295.00 for top of the line, plus chemicals.

Reply to
Refinish King

If your '89 is like my '93, the filter will be on the left side frame rail just behind the drivers door. For email remove "_no_spam_"

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Please read my reply to Sgt. Silicon?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks RK. I hit K for keep on this post too. :)

Reply to
SgtSilicon

That's fine, except when I had my car in, it was a year old and already had 2 fuel pumps replaced in less than 20,000 kms.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

There are such things as defective pumps:

Look at the Ford Focus, there is a major recall going on now, for fuel pump replacements. They go bad by 15,000 moles. So they are trying to get the cars in and do the job as a preventative measure. Rather than pay for a break down claim.

At 20,000 miles, or even 2 years, I doubt you'd have a large accumulation of sludge in the tank anyway. I think a good idea would be run that injector cleaner in the car, every other tank full from new, to avoid any sludge build up in the tank.

It will just go into the filter, and gas filters should be replaced every

15,000 miles with today's gasoline's.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Our old son/buddy Berry Grant? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thank's for the location, now I'll see if I can find it amongst all the junk crammed in there.

I guess I can understand what the stuff may have done wrong. Damn, why must I get screwed by trying to be proactive... This sucks.

What can be so special about a fuel pump anyway? Why couldn't I put in some cheap off the shelf generic fuel electric pump or why would any pump need to be specific to the car or expensive as you are describing? I can see the original part being specific but wouldn't any v8 capable pump work as a replacement or is this all tied into the computer or some suck thing?

Oh hell, maybe injectors are all messed up too... And of course I'd have no way to test or clean them myself and I'm guessing the $59 injector cleaning kit probably won't work worth a darn anyway correct?

If I pulled them (the injectors ) myself would any shop or store be able to clean them or test them out of the vehicle to help save my ignorant broke ass?

Not sounding good. I can't afford all this , not at the going shop rates or the parts prices you folks quoted that's for sure.

I am so bummed out. Now I have a new dead clunker to keep the astro company that it was supposed to replace is what this sounds like... Until I can find a way to either get this fixed cheap or do some of it myself or drive it off a cliff.

It's such a pretty car, for an old piece of junk. At least it will look nice as it sits dead in the driveway. Someone just shoot me.

thanks for the help though folks, bad news or good it's better than not having a clue where to start. I guess an old caddy is better left to someone that owns their own shop or just wants a lawn ornament?

excuse me while I go kick my own ass.

Reply to
<no

we put a Holley electric fuel pump on my buddy's 72 Nova. When you power it up, it sounds like a friggin' blender with a full load of ice cubes. (ok, not THAT bad, but it's bloody loud.) That is one reason why GM (and others) put the pump in the tank - muffles the noise and vibration.

Reply to
Ray

Ummmmm....

No!

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Most shops run an injector cleaning service:

For $59.95 with the chemical and labor. Your pump might not be bad, and if you just replaced it, there is a warranty on it.

Which store did you buy it from, and in most states, the laws are: (If sales taxes were charged, it must carry a minimum of a thirty day warranty!)

Keep us posted?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Plus:

At the pressure an injection pump runs, a Holley GPH110 doesn't run at half that pressure. It runs hot, and the gasoline keeps it cool.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King