I used Carb Cleaner now I get an engine light

I have a 98 Grand am with the 3100 engine, I took off the air box top and sprayed in carb cleaner several times, then I took off the MAF sensor and sprayed it out, then when I put everything back together I have the engine light coming on now. Could the spray have affected the sensor?

Reply to
Adam

Did the same thing on my 90 Buick. Had to replace the MAF.

Reply to
Tim or Linda

It was funny, the car before I cleaned it had a problem with hesitation, and lack of power, well I took out the air cleaner and smacked it around a bit (at least till I get paid friday I can get a new one) and then sprayed the throttle body and MAF sensor clean. Now the car runs great and has a check engine light.

Reply to
Adam

I just drove the car again today, and the light isnt on now. It went out after about 5 hours after I sprayed it.

Reply to
Adam

Most codes will reset themselves after several run cycles with no failure. You would need to have the computer codes read out to find out what caused it but the spray probably caused a temporary blockage which set the error.

Reply to
Woody

When I took out the MAF sensor the screen thats on the air box side was covered with bugs and pieces of leaves, as if the last person didnt use an air cleaner like they should have.

But now the car is fine.

Reply to
Adam