I995 Buick Regal won't start HELP

3.8 1995 Regal. Battery is good. Past couple of days it would turn over real slow then catch, all indicative of a bad battery but it is good. Now it will not turn over at all. No tell tale sign of solenoid click. Put gear in neutral ( ruling out safety switch ) and the same thing happened. Any advice ? I checked all fuses as well I think and all seemed good. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
jl

Shep

Starter.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The best battery check is to turn on the headlights and have someone watch them when you try to start. If they go out, then the battery is bad or the connections are bad. In effect, this is checking the battery under a load. Measuring the voltage with no load doesn't tell you much.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Maybe starter, but maybe not. ¨ I believe that is a Gen II engine, which has the problem with the plastic fuel injection plenum. When the plenum goes, water leaks into the engine. At first, you may see the engine struggle to start, and when you get hydrostatic lock, it wont turn over for love or money.

Take out the spark plugs and try to spin it over with the starter.

Reply to
<HLS

Hope the starter solves all your problems. Has the plenum already been replaced in this car? If not, you might want to keep an eye out for it. An aftermarket 'improved' plenum, here, sells for about $250 at NAPA. I got a quote from a fine local mechanic to do the installation for another $100. If you ever have this problem and take it to a dealership, you could quickly be up in the $800 range, unless peripheral damage is done. Then $$$$. Buick is unlikely to comp you on this. Their attitude has been 'Tough Stuff, Tonto'.

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
Shep

In re so anal? Is that what you had in mind??

...If it happens within the warranty period, they will fix it. If you are over mileage or over months, you're stuffed. That was the point. And if the OP didn't know that this is a well known flaw in that engine, then caveat emptor, right?

I can understand that GM is legally within its rights to sell shitty engineering technology and dodge the problems if they can. It is the great American way to poop in the street and leave it for someone else to step in.

Some people...if they knew that their engine was likely to fail and leave them in the middle of Bungholia, Utah...might well spend the $250-$350 to fix the GM abortion before it became an expensive and inconvenient issue. Others just tool around thinking it will never happen to THEIR Buick.

And that is one of the reasons that the Bank of America published the opinion that bankruptcy is inevitable for GM.. Not the only reason, certainly, but quality is certainly one of them.

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
Shep

Well, Shep, it is a shame. I used to say I'd rather push a GM than drive a Ford. I am very conflicted with what has happened to the car industry. I am obviously angry with GM, but in the same token would like to see them pull themselves out of the hole they are in and make cars that will stun the world. They could do it, once.

Reply to
<HLS