IAT sensor?

Hi...
Wonder if someone might confirm for me whether or not the device - quite large - sticking into the intake manifold nearest the air intake is the intake
air temperature sensor on an 85 Olds 3.8 ?
Confusing me is the fact that there are 4 terminals on the connector, and Haynes says it's just a thermistor...
If it helps any, unplugging it doesn't set a code; but does make the engine run at a very high idle... perhaps 2000 rpm or so. Plugging it back in makes the engine slowly go down to normal idle speed.
And if it matters, the tampering I'm doing is looking for a reason for incredibly bad mileage. Lucky to get 10 or 12 miles per canadian gallon.
Thanks in advance, and take care.
Ken
This is not the Iat sensor, this should be a 2 wire connector in the intake duct. Have the car scanned and check fuel trims, o2 sensor activity and coolant temp sensor readings. No other way to see where the mileage is going.

-
Sounds like the MAS (mass airflow sensor) that was on my 85 Pontiac 3.3 (a long-lost derivative of the 3.8 iirc), which would be consistent with the idle change. Needs regular cleaning