IAT sensor?

Hi...

Wonder if someone might confirm for me whether or not the device - quite large - sticking into the intake manifold nearest the air intake is the intake air temperature sensor on an 85 Olds 3.8 ?

Confusing me is the fact that there are 4 terminals on the connector, and Haynes says it's just a thermistor...

If it helps any, unplugging it doesn't set a code; but does make the engine run at a very high idle... perhaps

2000 rpm or so. Plugging it back in makes the engine slowly go down to normal idle speed.

And if it matters, the tampering I'm doing is looking for a reason for incredibly bad mileage. Lucky to get 10 or 12 miles per canadian gallon.

Thanks in advance, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Shep

Sounds like the MAS (mass airflow sensor) that was on my 85 Pontiac 3.3 (a long-lost derivative of the 3.8 iirc), which would be consistent with the idle change. Needs regular cleaning

Reply to
Chris