If you had $1500 US to spend...

My son-in-law will be looking for a car soon. His budget is $1500, a gift from his parents. I am an experienced DIYer, but I don't want to spend all
my time chasing problems and want to avoid problems that can't be fixed with wrecking yard parts. Any recommendatons?
Mike

I'd use the $1500 as a down payment Mike. $1500 isn't going to buy anything that does not keep the ardent DIY'er busy - at least not where I live.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Buy bus tickets. His $1,500 with just buy maintenance bills. >:)

Not bad advice - but he will need the car for his new job (adult probation officer)! I certainly agree about the maintenance, but he'll get a lot of hands-on experience with whatever it is. At least we have air tools.
Mike

Since he's going into law enforcement, and he wants a cheap/reliable car -- something that he can work on and learn, I'd suggest a late 80's Dodge Diplomat or Plymouth Gran Fury Police Package car. :-) It'll have either the 318ci or the 360ci (Interceptor package). Complete with baby hubcaps, vinyl seats, and shotgun mount. Or a Ford Crown Victoria with a 302ci.
-
I would recomend he looks around for a used jeep cherokee (NOT the grand) from 91-96, all these come with a H.O 4.0l engine and are pretty desnt vehicles. Spares are plentyful in wreckers.
Snow...
Michael Pardee wrote:

Too bad you don't live around here. I just sold my wife's old car for $1300. It was a '95 Olds 88 with the 3800 v6. Only had 90,000 miles and was always maintained at the Buick dealership she works at. She bought it there when it had 10K miles. It ran perfect and looked great. I had a HELL of a time selling it. Tire kickers want a PERFECT car for NOTHING. I had it listed at $1900 (blue book) but no one called. So I lowered the price. Finally had to practically give it away. I should have kept it for a winter car. Anyway, he can find a great car for a bargain price if he looks around on craiglist, local rags, etc. and if he's not picky as to the make and model. I'd also look for a car that has proof of every oil change in the glovebox. All it takes is one missed oil change to drastically wear an engine out. Also, if he doesn't have to drive much (so gas mileage isn't too important to him), maybe get him an older RWD American car with a bulletproof inline 6 cylinder. Then he can learn how to work on it.
-
Pre Series II 3800 cars are probably the cheapest to buy, own, and most reliable cars a person can get right now for the money. I would sugest spending some of that money on a basic automotive class at a community college. They should teach him how to look a used car over as well as how to take care of it. (personally I think a basic automotive class should be a requirement for getting a drivers license)
I bought a clean Fiero (about 60k on the odometer) at an auction for 500 bucks. Needed a tune up and a few minor things that didnt amount to any money so it was a hell of a deal. Wish I had kept it, gas prices would have justified the insurance on it. They had a porsche at that same auction as well. A 944 of nearly the same year IIRC. It brought 500 bucks as well but wasnt as clean as the Fiero.

$1500 isn't much when shopping for a car, but I have bought a couple of cars with that kind of price range in mind. One was a 1991 Bonneville SSE. I bought it for $1000, and put around $200 into it to get it to pass it's safety and emission tests (i'm in Ontario), and it was a good car. The engine's are incredible. Always start in the winter. Just make sure he doesn't do a neutral drop burn out. That can wipe the transmission out pretty quick.....long story.

He probably wants something sporty like a nice coupe or SUV, but in reality, for $1500 those type cars are really beat. Get an "old farts" sedan that has been taken care of. Should be able to get a low to mid 1990's at that price. Buick Century, Dodge, etc.