ignition switch problem 2008 Impala

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

I googled around a bit for this problem because the Impala is a car I might buy.
Here are a couple relevant links.
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/32mef-wife-s-2006-chevy-impala-ignition-key-will-not-turn.html
http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/03/2005-chevrolet-impala-ignition-key-will.html
The first talks about the shifter solenoid, the second about the shifter cable. Both are in the shifter console, so getting in there should provide the answer. I don't know how your maintenance guys work or their rules, but somebody has to get in there to find the answer. A case of beer might work. . Second link includes this from the mech: "If the key in your car will not turn all of the way off I would suggest lifting the cover shown earlier and spray some good lubricant on the plastic pawl and work it back and forth by hand to free it up and allow the key to turn all of the way off."
He also says don't force the key. That case the key had been forced and added up to bucks. Only thing needed was a cleaning of the shifter.
--Vic