Ignition switch problem

After a short stop this morning, attempt to re-start the van (92 Transport), the key would only goes to ignition position freely (position which you can
operate cabin air circulation fan/heater, wiper and radio). Just to be clear, this is not ACC position. If I attempt to start the engine by forcing the key to rotate as far as I can, both the radio and cabin air circulation fan will be off as long as I keep the key in that position. My memory may have failed me but I believe that the key switch used to be able to rotate a bit further in order to engage the starter switch, for some reason, It does not want to rotate pass ignition position as mentioned above.
I need help to identify the starter switch and what could be wrong with this switch that preventing me from switching to starter position? Do I have to remove the steering wheel in order to access this starter switch?
Note: The vehicle does have remote car starter so in the meantime, I can still drive the van by remote starting the engine then move the key switch to ignition position and drive the van like normal
Paul
Hello again, Has anyone replace ignition switch or repair it on 1992 Transport before that could offer some guidance? Paul