Illinois Tolls Double 1/1/05

Page 1 of 2
For those of you traveling the Illinois Toll Roads the Tolls will double in price, January 1, 2005
At the present they are 40 cents, going up to 80 cents.
A few booth's on I - 355 are 50 cent & will go up to $1.00
Truckers will take the biggest hit as their tolls will double and triple in some cases, but the truck tolls will vary in price depending on the time of day you roll through.
The increase is to force Illinois residents to buy the I - Pass Transponder ( $ 50 ).
Its that electronic toll deduction device stuck to the inside of your windsheild. For I - Pass users the tolls will remain 40 to 50 cents. A $ 40.00 credit is established when you buy the unit. There is a $10.00 deposit for the unit. When your account gets down to $10.00 your automatically billed $40.00 through your credit card.
Only CASH paying customers ( & out of staters ) will pay an incresed toll.
Santa Claus brought me an I - Pass for Christmas.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,324 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
Please tell me about toll roads. Being from Washington state, I have not seen a toll road. There is one toll bridge that still collects tolls even it was paid for many years ago. Are the toll booths on the on ramps or are you driving along and have to stop to pay? How far apart are the booths spaced? Are they private or government operated? I assume that the tolls are to pay for road construction and maintenance. Out here gas tax pays for the road and highways. With the I-pass, do you have to slow down for it to work.
I remember a story about some state that can use information from I-pass to check your time from one booth to the next to determine if you were speeding. Based on this info you can receive a ticket.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:00:16 -0800, "Scott Buchanan"

in Maine, both..
How far apart are the booths spaced?
The barrier tolls are about 50 miles apart ( York, Gardiner, and somewhere around augusta)... there is a .50 cent toll at all on ramps ( except southbound from wells... can't go anywhere until you pay $1.50 at York)

Maine Turnpike Authority.. it's a quasi government agency... kinda like the USPS.
I assume that the tolls are to pay

with the Transpass/ EZpass you need to slow down to about 25mph ( booth limit is 15mph)

that was in NYC, lincoln tunnel I think.. they had to stop because the clocks weren't syncronized.
-Bret

That's what we need here in Hawaii, tolls for tourists. We'd "clean up", and could finally pay for stuff we need like more cops, schools, and road widenings. GW
Harry Face wrote:

Citizens of Hawaii are already getting a free ride. Hawaii and Alaska receive millions more they they pay onto the Interstates highway trust fund, for their roads. Public transit rider are even worse when it come to getting a free ride. Metropolitan Public transit systems suck millions from that fund annually, yet pay nothing into the fund
I believe toll roads are great, nobody makes the locals use a toll road. The users, particularly out of state drivers that do not support the state system of roads, should help pay the cost of those better roads that speed them through a state. ;)
mike hunt
Geoff Welsh wrote:

I don't know where out of state drivers do not support the state system of roads: essentially all the roads used by out of staters are substantially supported by Federal taxes dollars (even when out of staters don't buy gas within that state--and they frequently do).
So I very strongly object to this move in Illinois, as it is mostly designed to discriminate against out of state drivers.
--
Jonathan Grobe

designed
We often travel a couple of toll roads in Northern Ill. at vacation time. I guess in the future, we will be taking a more scenic route. H
So you're willing to waste much more time, gas(money) on traveling across back roads, than paying an extra 50 cents per toll? That's brilliant

Rog wrote:

A matter of principle.
A better idea would be to avoid altogether those states/areas that take advantage of unsupecting guests.
Here's an offer for you. Come on up and visit. Spend your money for hotels, fuel, clothing, souvenirs, repairs, all the things that visitors buy.
And be sure to remember - you're a visitor, a guest, so you get special welcome attention. You pay double.
Ken
You're absolutely right.
I hate those areas that advertise heavily for tourists, then screw 'em to the wall when they do come.
On a recent trip, I paid; Airport tax, auto rental tax, hotel tax, a downtown restaurant/bar tax, an entertainment tax on my show tickets, and..... ?????
I WON'T GO THERE AGAIN !
How many times have you stopped at a $50 motel, only to find that the beill is closer to $60 after all the taxes are added in.
wrote:

<rj>

time.
Tourists already "pay" for damn near everything you have. The rest comes from Uncle Sam's pockets via military, and a bit of sugar and pineapple. You want more, you should try to PRODUCE something that others want to buy from you. Sure, you can try to tap the tourists for even more, but you run the risk persuading them to visit alternative locals where their money stretches farther.

I can't possibly think of one thing I have that tourists pay for, but I do know all they do is fill up the ffffing under developed roads, so that it's impossible to get anyware. Locals don't drive around aimlessly, tourists do, so it would be quite fare if they paid to use the roads. Our vehicle registrations cost about what they did in Illinois, but Illinois has tolls. Trust me we need tolls here. GW
SgtSilicon wrote:

You can't possibly think of anything you have that tourism paid for. Your scope of understanding economics doesn't go beyond your own bank account apparently. Let me clue you in. Take Milwaukee for an instance. Harley Davidson motorcycles are made there. Do you really think that only those directly involved with the company ever had anything they own paid for by a biker? If a machinist at HD likes fried chicken, and he spends some of his paycheck on fried chicken, now the folks that work at the KFC are seeing some of that money that came from someone buying a motorcycle. And the person who services their HVAC system, and the person who plows out the lot there at KFC etc. The "someones" that buy the motorcycles are flowing their money in from all over the country and world.
Without exports, you don't get outside money flowing in. Without outside money flowing in, you are limited to what a community can do for each other locally, with what resources are at hand locally. In Hawaii that would mean a lot of folks wearing grass clothing and sucking on pineapples.
I'll say it again. If you take away the money Uncle Sam and tourists pump into Hawaii, you have precious little left to buy cars with to use on those roads. So think about that the next time you look at what you own.

SgtSilicon wrote:

Well said. I'm one of those foreigner tourists, at least was (a lot) prior to 9/11.
IF you'd like me to come visit again, bringing my dollars top spend on every service imaginable, I'd like to be treated like a guest. Not like someone who's filling up your roads.
And the word is - treated "fair"; not fare.
Ken
I understand econ, and that our "export" is tourism, in and of the fact that people from elsewhere pay to "be" here. I stated that tourists should pump more money into my state with a toll road system. Local politicians have that platform. But without regard to that, I am curious about this Uncle Sam money you say we get, because I have not seen or heard of it. Last I checked, we were a very poor state. GW (HNY, BTW)
SgtSilicon wrote:

GW,
Its time you ( move ) come back home to IL.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,522 miles_~_~_
Your original gripe is that tourists should have to pay for more of their fair share of the roadway use, thus tolls should put on tourists would have to pay. My point was, those roads are paid for by Uncle Sam and the tourists, so if anyone should be bitching about who should pay more for them, it shouldn't be the locals.
And, there is nothing wrong with exporting tourism, just don't make the mistake of biting the hands that feed you. It can be bad for your economy.

Are you totally blind or only partially blind? What does the word US Military mean to you grasshopper?? Tourism and the US Military are the backbone of the Hawaiian economy.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Thats a hell of a lot of quarters to throw into those automated toll collectors that are usually plugged up with fish or whatever else kids throw in there ....
Where does the money go to? It sure the hell isn't the roads in ILL !!!!
Dennis Smith