Impala A/C and heat help

I have a 2001 Impala. The a/c/heat has 6 positions, however the air and heat will not blow until it is in the 3rd position. This didn't used to happen and I cannot recall when it started.
Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this problem?
Thank you in advance!
Needs the blower resistor/relay mounted on the blower case up behind the glove box area under dash.

-
Thank you for the answer. I am a bit confused as to what you are telling me to do. Do I need to replace the blower restitor/relay, do I repair the current blower resistor/relay? How do I access the resistor/relay?
Thank you!
Shep wrote:

Matt - what Shep is talking about is a resistor pack that mounts up into the plenum in the area of the passenger's foot well. It's up by the blower motor. It's not a relay. If you get on your back on the floor, or even just get down there and crank your neck back so you can see the blower motor, you will see a wire going up (seemingly) into the plenum close to the firewall side of the plenum. You can unplug this wire harness and the resistor pack will then come out with the removal of three screws. One of those screws is a tight fit with the footwell/firewall and can be the cause of some imaginative new words in your vocabulary. Remove the screws and the resistor pack will come right out.
Don't even try to repair it. GM now sells a beefier resistor pack that looks like it should last considerably longer than the originals. Much stouter heat dissipation capabilities. Shove the new one up in there and screw it home. Plug it in and off you go. The whole job should take less than 30 minutes. If you choose, you can make access a little easier by removing the blower motor first. Three obvious screws and it drops right down. Unplug it and set it aside.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Well,
I purchased a new blower resister but I'm having a heck of a time removing the panel that provides access to the equipment above the passenger's feet. There appears to be a black plastic fastener that I can't take off that would allow me to remove the panel.
Am I doing the right thing to install my new blower resistor?
How do I remove this panel to get to the blower? (Any pictures would be much appreciated!)
Thank you,
Mike Marlow wrote:

Use a set of side cutters Matt. They will slip under the head of the fastener. Don't cut through it, but pry the fastener out. Rock the side cutters so as to work the fasterner out. Rotate the cutters so a full 90 degrees or so. Get another grip further down and do it again. You'll see that it is a ribbed fastener once you get one out - a simple friction fit. You'll distort the fastner a little bit, but it will be fully reuseable when you go to put it back together. If you do happen to cut through it or damage it badly it's no big deal. They are available at any autobody supply store and even at some of the HELP shelves at the automotive aftermarket parts stores like Advance or NAPA.