Impala: best pick 3.4 or 3.8 engine?

Hi all,
What engine is the best pick for an Impala? 3.4 or 3.8. I am interested in reliability, fuel economy and performance, but above all, I think I value
reliability most important.
Daniel wrote:

3.8 over the 3.4 any time 3.8 = more torque.
Both are good engines. Impala also have a problem with the Intermediate Steering Shaft, some clunking noise issue. Not sure if this has been rectified for 2004.
3400 V6 -180 HP/ 205 TQ, 3800 V6 - 200HP / 225 TQ, 3800 SC V6 - 240 HP / 280 TQ
3400 - 21/32/ MPG 3800 - 20/30 MPG 3800 SC 18/28 MPG
You can get the 3800 in the base model for $995 and it includes Traction Control, Anit Lock Brakes, Tire Pressure Monitor, SPort Touring Suspension, 225/ 60 R16 Touring Tires, ( Requires 1SC preferred equipment group ) .
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~267,018 miles_~_~_
Harry Face wrote:

Perhaps some digging around for info on that steering rack is in order before you buy. I have heard rumors that the rack can lock up without warning. (Heard one story about a cop car that locked steering during pursuit and endo'd into a ditch.) If I recall, that rack is rather common in GM applications, even including some SAAB models.
Chevy Munky wrote:

I have a Buick with the original 3800 series engine. It has the exact same specs as the 3400 engine and is plenty powerful. The advantage is 21/32 mpg vs my Buick's 18/27 mpg.
I'd go with it for that reason. Good engine - as powerful as the older generation, but smaller, lighter, and more efficient. Less out the door cost as well.
Steering Rack: I had mine repaired, actually there is a GM Service Bulletin which calls for lubrication of the intermediate shaft. It is something like 0.8 hrs labor plus the special lube kit. Cost me about 75 USD. Steve

Police dept. uses a police edition Impala with a modified 3.8 V6

in

value
I looked inside an Impala sqaud car and it lacked the Traction Control button so I'm assuming it had the 3400. TC is standard with a 3800 equipped Impala.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~267,018 miles_~_~_

You mean "while being put into the back of an Impala squad car I looked on the dash and it lacked...."
:D
Here are the specs for the Police Impala: http://www.quirkcars.com/fleet/impala_catalog.htm
Motor Trend or Car and Driver had a article some time ago about this vehicle. Apparently, the oil pan, suspension, transmission cooler, oil pump and a plethora of items were modified for the rigors of police use.

Lots of mods just for getting coffee and doughnuts :)
I have a 2002 with the 3.4 in it and have experienced no problems. It runs great and on a recent trip, we clocked 36 mpg in both directions (good weather and used cruise most of the time). I've heard that the 3.8 is a better engine though (except for fuel mileage).
****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
The 3.8 fuel mileage is not bad, I have gotten as high as 33 with my 3.8 Impala. Roy