Impala moaning sound?

I know this may sound funny, but my wife picked me up for lunch today and commented that the car was making a moaning sound. I laughed, but sure enough, at the first red light, I heard this low freq moan. It moaned at idle wether in park, or drive, but any slight RPM above idle and the sound disappears.

Car is a 2001 Impala LS, 3.8, 55K miles.

So, she parks and shuts it off. I pop the hood and see nothing wrong visually. I ask her to restart the car, and no moan?

She said for the rest of the afternoon no strange sounds?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and have a nice day,

Bill

Reply to
billccm

Did you look under the car for any errant pedestrians? *lol* Sorry, I couldn't resist. Brakes will sometimes "moan" when you are stopped and you ease up pressure on the brake pedal just before accelerating. If you just hang on the brakes a tad, I've heard that moan.

Reply to
Cool Jet

Open the hood and start looking for the noise. See if it's coming from the front end of the engine where the rotating components like the AC are located. Could the AC be turned on? If it seems to be coming from the transmission/torque converter area the torque converter could make a noise like that, but more likely it's some component up front. Maybe the serpentine belt is frayed and ready to break.

Reply to
Al Bundy

It's an old man's car, not surprising.

Reply to