Impala or Malibu ???

Page 1 of 2
Hi All
I am considering the purchase of a 2003 Impala. Any info on these makes/models would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks John

John wrote:

order a base model with the 3.8L instead of the 3.4L. The LS comes with ABS standard and the base comes with the 3.4L standard, if you can order a base model with the 3.8 you will have the better combination.

I think that 2002 was the last model year for Impalas without ABS (I believe it's standard now). I bought a 2002 without ABS but I had to search hard to find it. The 3.8L and LS interior make the base model much more desireable.
I own a 2000 Impala LS and I have experienced the steering clicking (not checked out yet), and some brake shudder from possible warped rotors. The car now has 45k miles on it and it is very satisfactory to both myself and my wife. I decided on Impala over Lumina and Malibu because of looks and features. I had a Malibu rented one day while my car was being serviced and my wife was out of town with the Impala, and I couldn't wait to turn it back in. As far as desirability of base Impala vs. LS, I compared options car for car. The base car would have been more expensive with my choices, so I went for the LS. Roy

Do you want a real car??? Then go buy a 2003 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. Full frame, cheap to buy cheap to insure and is bigger faster and has lots more options. Oh did I metion they have a real V-8 motor??????
Jake

The only problem it's a Ford....and that can't be fixed !!!
Hehehe. Seriously though... what is the reputation of Crown Vic? I suppose I could ask a cop friend of mine. They used to have Chevy Caprices and now have Ford Crown Vics. Lots of vehicles in the motor pool so it might be a good place to ask about reliability. They get used hard.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
The base Impala with the 3400 is available without ABS. You can also get a Buick Regal LS 3800, WITHOUT ABS, its optional, Bonneville offered ABS as an option for 1 year- I think in 2002 or 2003,
Regal is the only GM car ( That I'm aware of ) with a 3800 standard, where you can NOT get ABS on if you don't want it.
A base Impala with the optional 3800 engine is almost identical to the LS. You get the same sport tuned suspension, ABS, Electronic Traction Control, tire inflation monitor, 16 " custom cast aluminum wheels and touring tires.
The only other differences between the Base and LS are some standard features on the LS , but there optional on the base.
On the base model there are no fog lights in the front bumper, no spoiler, although one is Optional on base in 2004. You can get a 2 different cloth bench seats styles or a bucket seat interior in the base.
A Leather bench is optional in the Base.
Buckets are standard in the LS, though you can get a leather bench seat, no cloth bench seat is offered on the LS..
Good Luck
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 300 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
I have a 01 impala 3.8L base model and I haven't been that happy with it. The problems I have had with the car are: Leaking coolant--had the intake manifold gasket replaced by dealership (warranty) Engine cradle creaking--replaced the aluminum subframe (warranty) Steering makes a clunk sound when turning--lubed the Intermediate Steering Shaft (warranty) Steering makes a clunk sound only when turning left--not yet taken to the dealership. When driving over 100km/hr and applying the brakes the car starts to shake--I imagine the rotors are warped. All these problems and I have only driven it 17K miles. The impala isn't the only car in the GM line-up with steering issues. I have read some Buick LeSabre owners complaining of clunks when turning and that isn't a W-Body.
The positives: large, affordable, fuel efficient, safe and comfortable.
The malibu is much worse than the impala. I drove the malibu for 1 week while my car was being worked on and it quite tight inside and the engine sounds way more rough than the impalas'. Plus the 3.1L engine is less reliable and gutless on the highway.
Vince

Hey even the trucks have that steering clunk. Funny, my mother's 99 Malibu has a 4.3L with plenty-o-balls.
~KJ~

I thought the 3.1 was the largest V6 offered in the 99 model Malibu.
| > > Hi All | > > | > > I am considering the purchase of a 2003 Impala. Any info on these | > > makes/models would be greatly appreciated. | > > | > > Thanks | > > John | > > | > > | > | > | |
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:17:41 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

Same here. Has Chevy even made a 4.3L? I'm guessing KJ meant 3.4L but was still mistaken since I bet it's a 3.1.
Of course, I'm no genius by any means!
Rick

The 3.4 is the optional engine on the 2004 model (the newly redesigned version). I don't think the information on the 4.3 in the Malibu is correct.
| >| Hey even the trucks have that steering clunk. | >| Funny, my mother's 99 Malibu has a 4.3L with plenty-o-balls. | >| | >| ~KJ~ | >| |
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:56:07 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

Wrong answer. The 3.5L is the optional engine for 2004.
The only 4.3 I am aware of is the Vortec V6 that is in the trucks.
wrote: | | >>The 3.4 is the optional engine on the 2004 model (the newly redesigned | >>version). I don't think the information on the 4.3 in the Malibu is correct. | Bzzzt. | | Wrong answer. The 3.5L is the optional engine for 2004. | | The only 4.3 I am aware of is the Vortec V6 that is in the trucks.
What's 100cc's between friends. :-)
Rutger6559 wrote:

I think he means 3.4L in the Malibu. The 4.3L is in the S-10's, Astro;s, etc. Our Impala had the steering clunk, I bought the grease tube for $5 from gmpartsdirect and squirted it in. The 3.4L has plenty of power, the only reason I recommend the 3.8 over it is they 3.4L (at least in the 2001 model) still has the intake manifold gasket problem.
"KJ" wrote

Your mother is lying to you. It's not possible for her to have a 99 Malibu with a 4.3 liter engine. It's not even possible for her to have a 3.4 liter engine in her Malibu. Her choices are 2.4....or 3.1...from the factory.
Ian
Well why didn't you correct me before when I said it had a 4.3 in the other news groups?
~KJ~

"KJ" wrote

Unfortunately, correcting your posts would be a full time job, and I already have one of those! I just catch the blatant ones.
Nuff said?
Ian
| Hey even the trucks have that steering clunk. | Funny, my mother's 99 Malibu has a 4.3L with plenty-o-balls. |
I used to own a 2003 Malibu, the largest (and only) V6 was the 3.1 (170 horses with 190 ft. lb torque). Power was reasonable and adequate, but hardly exceptional. It seemed to begin to run out of steam though at highway speeds...not very good "top end" power. Who ever told you that any 99 Malibu had a 4.3 V6 is pulling your leg.