Impala vs. Accord?

Page 1 of 5
Hey all,
I am sort of car shopping and as the Hondas tend to be very spendy (though very reliable) I see Consumer Reports has recommended the Impala, which seems to be doing very well keeping up with the Japanese
name cars the past 5 years.
So, as I can get a used Impala for less than 1/2 the price of an Accord, I'm thinking that might be a good idea. Maybe around 50k on the car, between 7 - 9 grand, in that area. The Accord I test drove last week, cheapest on the lot and still 17 grand, had 60k (or more) on it I think, 2003. I just can't swallow that price! I don't care how great of reputation Hondas have, they're spendy, spendy to fix, and don't seem that much better as of late. Or am I wrong?
I can read reviews all over the place, but don't see much on Impala vs. Accord. And, frankly, I think the pro-Honda crowd can get a little carried away about them sometimes. Or maybe it's just a matter of spending the money now on buying a Honda, or paying a little to repair things later on a used Impala? I dunno, I'm not really married to either brand at the moment.
Any tips, advice, opinions? Would you recommend buying an Impala with 50k on the car?
Thanks Impy

Not sure how much my opinion is worth, but I'd buy an Impala over an Accord any day, especially used. As long as you don't mind regular brake maintenance of course.
Steve
Some Accords have reoccurring brake problems as well.
mike hunt

.

I was at a Honda dealer last Saturday. I was surprised at the asking prices for used Accords. I'd have to say they hold their re-sale value better than the Impala, but that may not matter. If the Impala is much cheaper, it may be the better buy. You should be able to drive another 50k with no serious problems. Some repair may be needed, but that is true of any car as the miles build up.
If you plan to drive the car for a year and sell it, you may get better resale on the Accord, but if you are going to keep it for longer, the added resale will diminish. After a number or years and miles, either one will still only fetch $35 at the junk yard. That would make the Impala a much better buy.
Cops are running around in Impales with 200K on the clock ;)
mike hunt
wrote in message

Have you priced a new Impala? With the current offerings you can get a long term, interest free loan. The monthly payment may be not any more than the cost of a high interest short term loan on a used car. You are correct, Toyotas and Hondas are way overpriced in todays market.
mike hunt

Impy wrote:

If I were to buy an Impala w/60 degree engine, I would change the intake manifold gasket real soon, first week or two. It's real pain to change but worth it to keep the car past 60k miles.. If it is a 90 degee engine, I would repair the burned intake manifold right away, first week or three. I have been looking at Accords and know what you mean about prices. A 2005 Grand Am with half the miles goes for half the price. I may end up with another G/A yet.
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

In our weekly shopper paper that came today a dealer is advertising two used cars.
2003 Bonneville SE $11,950 (original sticker was probably $26k or more 2002 Honda Civic EX $12,999 (original sticker was probably <20k
Sure there may be other variables, condition, miles, whatever, but that does not seem to be in line with each other as far as percentage of depreciation. .
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes. IMO, Hondas are overpriced but I will test drive a used Accord 6 this month. Both the Bonny and the Accord will go the same 225k miles with about the same amount of repairs. I need to find out what the low end torque on the Accord is like. No smoking tires = no purchase.
Paul wrote:

The Accord V-6 includes traction control as a standard feature, so you will never smoke the tires with it.
John

Funny how people say Honda's are over priced. If they were really over priced, they would never sell. People say any car over a given period of time will have the same amount of problems. Well, according to a Consumer Reports survey, 8 year old GMs had 140 problems per 100 vehicles, where as Honda had 70 problems per 100 vehicles. On a side note, stay away from used VWs.
Just because resale values are high, doesn't mean they are overpriced, it means that's what the public is willing to pay.
Steve
Even if the Honda has fewer problems, does it mean that, in the course of the next 10 years, the car will have cost its owner that much less in maintenance? What is the difference in the cost of parts? It would also be interesting to compare insurance premiums on the 2 cars.

For one thing, GM part prices from the stealership are outrageous. But then again, I wouldn't really be able to tell you because the only parts I've replaced on our 14 year old Honda was a calliper, a power steering pipe and the usual maintenance items. While on our 11 year old Monte Carlo, I've replaced pretty well everything. I don't think there is one part I didn't take off that car.
10 year maintenance costs is a good thing to look at, but even if the maintenance is double that of a GM, does that make up for the repair costs? Next time I'm at the Honda Stealership I'll have a look at the "menu," see what the prices are.
As for insurance, I couldn't tell you. I was paying $1600/year for the '95 Monte and when I got the '06 Civic my premium went to $1100. I even changed the liability to $2 million up from $1 million. But they were two different cars. I know the Mazda3, Toy Corolla and Civic Sedan premiums were all within $20 of each other, but could tell you about the Cobalt and Ion because they dropped off the radar after the test drives.
Steve

My Cuz took her Toyota to the dealer for its scheduled maintenance checkup. It cost her $600 "ransom" to get out !
I got a $430 brake job from my BUICK dealer. ( no doubt, the "platinum" service ) I won't be giong back there either.
<rj>

Very common. Aside from free needed warranty service, none of my cars have ever been to a dealer.

If you trade your cars after the new warranty expires your comment doesn't count.

Right now, one has 149,000, the other 115,700. Does that make it count?
Foreign car buyer have themselves convinced that only the brand THEY buy will last a long time. They do not understand that many of us own domestics that have 200K or more on the clock. ;)
mike hunt

That's true. A big difference is the imports test new models on their home market, so we don't see all the initial problems.
A big problem we have is if a big 3 manufacturer doesn't change bad designs, ie GM frequently trying to push problems under the carpet because they are losing too much money to back their products adequately.
This thread has zig zagged all over the place, but I will add my two cents.
I bought a used 2001 Impala back in Sept 2002. The car had less than 19K miles, and was priced almost 7 grand below it's original sticker MSRP. I think the total out the door purchase price was around 15K in cluding tax and fees, etc. I compared the car to used Taurus and some Accord Camrys of the same year.
This was my very first GM car.
I have had the car 4 years this Sept, and now just turned over 60K miles.
I am surprised at how poor the reputation is for these cars. I have had an issue with the ISS, and EGR gaket leaks, but otherwise an excellent, reliable car. My out of pocket expense has been lower with this car than any car I have ever owned (several Crown Vics and various Chrysler products).
I would recommend the Impala, and will probably replace this car with another GM product.
My two cents, Bill