Impala vs. Accord?

Page 2 of 5
Go look at a 2006 V6 Impala the current price is around the same as a summarily equipped 4 cy Corolla, 18K
mike

Well, when I bought my Impala, it was before the employee pricing and all of the big incentives. The point of my post was that a used Impala seems to be a good value, and I have had good service so far out of mine.
Not to change the subject, but a few years ago a financial anaylist on a nationwide talk radio show had a therory that the lowest cost of car ownership per mile was to buy a one year old Intrepid, or Taurus, keep it three years, and trade for another Intrepid, or Taurus. His theroy was that these cars depreciated deeply the first year, had two years of warranty remaining, and required little in cost for the third year of ownership. You were always in a car that was less than four years old, and had lower costs out of pocket. In comparison (again, his therory) to a Camry, or Accord, you could not recoup the high purchase costs, even with higher resale value. His recommendation for Accords and Camrys was to own for 100K miles plus to meet the same cost per mile of a used Intrepid, or Taurus every three years.
In may area, Camrys with over 100K miles still bring 8, or 9 thousand dollars in good shape. I would rather have a new Taurus every three years, myself.
Good Thread here. Take care,
Bill Mike Hunter wrote:

but a new Taurus is now out of the question, unless you are happy with the very base model Taurus Ford has been selling for the last few years.
billccm wrote:

Used Impalas can be a good value because the first year depreciation is huge on them, thanks mostly to the vast number which do short term rental fleet duty.
If you have the 3.4l, watch out for intake manifold gasket leaks. It is not a question of if, but rather of when it will happen.
Get an oil analysis of your used oil at least once per year to catch it before major engine damage happens. Well worth the $20 to do.
www.blackstone-labs.com is one of many reputable companies which can do this for you.
John
Good point about the 3.4, I have heard some horror stories about that engine. Fortunately, I have the 3.8 series II, which seems to have a reputation for "Honda like reliability". John Horner wrote:

billccm wrote:

Better than the 3.4 for sure, but "Honda like" .... I doubt that :).
There have also been issues with the plastic manifold equipped 3.8l developing leaks and/or melting near the EGR valve. Keep an eye on it.
John
Not a problem on todays engines.
mike

What change exactly was implemented to fix the problem and when did it go into production?
Mike Hunter wrote:

Glad you did not say Toyota. Toyota has more recalls, this year, for engine proplems than any other manufature ;)
mike

Hardly.
Vast numbers? How many is that? ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Gosh Mike, you always tell people to do their own research, why don't you figure it out ?
None of the car makers seems to release model by model fleet vs. retail sales results. However, have a look at this, which is only one of many references to the issue you can find.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060329/AUTO01/603290375/1148
Fleets mask Big 3 woes Growing reliance on low-margin sales drains profits Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News
"According to Murphy, Detroit's fleet sales reached new highs in the last three months of 2005, accounting for 29.5 percent of overall vehicle sales."
It is of course impossible to tell what the model mix is in those numbers or what the mix of daily rental fleet vs. other fleet user sales are.
If you travel frequently you will see that the Impala may yet dethrone the Taurus as the current king of the full size car rental fleet at the airports. Lots of Pontiacs out there in rental land as well.
After many years is the fleet sales and service business I can give you some facts. Most fleet sales, by around 80%, are to corporate and government fleets, not rental companies, that keep them is service for five years or 30K WOF. Second nearly every manufacture foreign and domestic sells, or tries to sell, to fleets. Domestic are just much more successful doing so. The 'hugh' fleet discount, that they ALL offer to get multiple orders of like vehicles, is around $600 if one buy five or more. Fleet sales are made by the individual dealers, not manufactures they can not sell vehicles directly to customers. Building a large number of like vehicles on the assembly line at the same time is less expensive, allowing for the discount. Most importantly NO manufacture, foreign or domestic cares who buys their vehicles. When it come to fleet sales the Koreans sell a higher percentage to fleets than ANY of the domestic manufactures.
The Taurus, the second best selling individual model in the US, goes away at the end of the 2006 production run. If you want one, go see the Fleet Sales Manager at you local Ford dealer. Since all the cars are basically the same except for minor option and colors, Ford was able to greatly reduce the build cost. It is a hell of a buy, fully equipped state of the art V6 vehicle under 20K, but you will not get the $600 fleet discount. ;)
mike hunt

I bet he would say that counts. He was just asking though. The guy has a point.

I've had coupons for free oil changes and would not even take it to the dealer for that.
You mean th Ion with the Honda engine?
mike hunt
. I know the Mazda3, Toy Corolla and Civic Sedan premiums were all

Um, no. Last time I checked, the only engine GM used from Honda was in the Vue.
Steve

NA. Here insurance cost is related to the new vehicle cost. You're spouting off again without facts Mike.
Compare premiums between foreign and domestic, as well as FWD and RWD, cars with you agent and educate yourself, WBMA ;)
mike hunt