Impala vs. Accord?

Page 3 of 5

I said here, that isn't where you are.

Uhhh, no kidding Steve. You need to be smart enough to figure when people say that, what it means is that it is their opinion that such and such is over priced. Just as what you said is a given, so is the understanding that it is offered as individual opinion. And since this is a forum for expressing opinions (among other things), it makes sense to see it here.

If I were you, I would take the Impala. I have several relatives who own them, and they all love them. If you can get the 3800 engine, that's even better. They are known for there gasket problems, but other then that they are damned good engines. Also, where I live (Ontario, Canada), the Police use Impala's, so they have to be good ;-) Oh, and they are sharp looking cars too.
Impy wrote:

New Accords are an excellent value, in part because they retain their value so well. New Impalas, on the other hand, are a poor value in part because of steep depreciation.
Recently off rental Impalas can be a good buy. A friend bought one from Hertz about a year ago and still loves it. So yes, if buying use you can get more car in the Impala. Just make sure to spend the extra bucks for an extended warranty to cover the intake manifold gasket and other high failure rate GM features as the car ages.
There are reasons why used Accords sell for so much more than similar miles/condition Impalas.
John

I considered the Impala as well. (Still havent bought a new car...decided to wait for a while.)
It looks pretty good, and is certainly cheaper on the used market. Not so cheap when purchased new.
Although I dont put a lot of credibility in anything CR puts out, I will have to dig out my automobile copy and see what they said.

My copy of Consumer Reports is the 2005 issue where the Impala is given a preliminary evaluation.
Predicted reliability is somewhat better than average, but not 'Good'. Predicted depreciation is pretty bad.
Their comments: Ride is 'absorbent but unsettled and road noise is pronounced'. Seating is not one of this cars strong points according to CR. Interior fit and finish is claimed to be 'borderline offensive'.
They mention the 'coarse' 3800 engine as being powerful enough, but say nothing about the tranny.
They project prices in the range of $22,350-28, 555 (TFM, for this type of car, I think)
As a 2000 Impala owner, I would have no option but go with Impala. My car has 66k on the clock and has had one set of brake pads installed. Also, it has the 3.8 engine and is smooth and powerful. It will definitedly smoke tires (momentarily with traction control on) but it can be turned off for having fun. Roy

I'll have to call you on this Roy. I've never seen any car in the class of the Impala that will smoke the tires - especially with TC on. Even with TC off. Spin them a bit - maybe. Some will. Smoke them? Nope. You'd have to show me pictures of your 2000 smoking the tires before I'd believe it. For those cars that can do it, power braking does not count. That's no sign of performance.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

If it has the 3800 II engine, you can bet good money she will get up and go. Smoke the tires? Probably not, but my '96 Bonnie with the regular 3800 II squealed them all the way up the road, and my new '96 Bonnie SSEi with the supercharged 3800 II will squeal them all the way to another town. Even with the traction control on. And that, my good Sir, is a fact. :)

I left my original post intact so you could see that what you said is precisely what I said. I've owned both the supercharged and the non- supercharged 3.8L and I'm very familiar with them. Smoke coming out of the wheel wells is not one of their claims to fame. If your SSEi is spinning the tires with the TC on though, you'd better get the TC checked - it's not working. Better yet - don't. (IMHO), you're far better off without TC. Thank god for the switch on the dash.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You also said that they 'might' spin the tires. I am just saying that they will spin the tires.

Actually, they will only do it when I give it a lot of gas, and only for a second until the TC kicks in. Nothing wrong with the system, as both of my Bonnie's do the same thing, and I have had it checked out, just to be sure.

I don't usually turn the TC off, but then again I don't usually spin the tires either. However, I am glad there is a switch. I have seen a few cars with TC and no 'off' button. BTW, I meant no offence to you. I was just giving my opinion.

Ok - I was trying to say something a bit different but I can see where it came across as it did in a post.

I turn mine off a lot in the winter time and occasionally in the summer. If you attempt to accelerate hard (say, as in pulling out into traffic) and the TC senses a wheel spinning, it cuts the motor and you lose all power. Turn off the TC and you actually drive the car (what a concept, huh?), controlling wheel speed/spin and gaining a great deal more acceleration. I hate that sagging feeling when the TC kicks in and the car dies right underneath of you... with another car bearing down on you. Sometimes technology is not so good as a substitute for good driving skills.

And none taken sir.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Actually, now that I think of it, neither of my Bonneville's (two 1996's) cut engine power very much when the wheels are spinning. They activate the ABS. My sisters Grand Am, on the other hand, is exactly like you describe. You give it too much gas, and its as if the car stalls. I hate that feeling, and I totally agree that good driving skills should exceed the technology level of your car. Even in the winter, my TC rarely, if ever, kicks in. There's not much need for TC, unless you have a constant heavy foot.

<Mr. Burns>: "Excelent." </Mr. Burns>
I have an off switch, for the anti-lock brakes, installed on my cars. I can see why some may not what to pay to buy TC but why would somebody want to take the 'off' switch, for the traction control, off their car if TC is standard equipment? If one lives in hilly country you will discover there are times you can not climb a grade with TC engaged ;)
mike hunt

Even a 4 cy FWD car can spin the tires as the weigh shift to the rear My neighbors kid does it all the time with his midget Echo LOL
mike hunt

Mike - please read, will you. Look again - see the sentence that states "I've never seen any car in the class of the Impala that will smoke the tires - especially with TC on."? Do you not understand the difference between spin and smoke?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Got me, what do you smoke? ;)
mike hunt

Looks as though I stirred the pot a bit much (S). Smoking the tires was a stretch, but a short squeal till TC kicks on is what I meant. I've never turned the TC off to see what it will do, but I tentatively am looking at a new SS with the V8 that should definitely do the job. Roy

So.... you're a pot stirrer, huh? Hey - if you do go ahead and get that V8 SS, make sure to post some performance observations.
As for the TC switch - I often turn mine off in the winter in order to actually get the car to go. TC tries to drive the car too much for the driver and will leave you half out into an intersection with no power left going to the wheels as the engine is choked out. Some of us actually know how to drive and don't need this technology to handle winter roads.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

These are awesome sites by the way, autos.msn!
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ConsumerReportsSnapshot.aspx?year 06&make=Chevrolet&model=Impala
The 2006 Best & Worst edition of CR has this to say of the Impala:
The Impala got its first freshening since its debut in 2000, with updated engines and significantly improved interior fit and finish. The 3.9-liter V6 delivers responsive performance and manages 20 mpg overall, but sounds coarse. The optional 5.3-liter V8 is quick but spins the front tires too easily. Handling is sound, but body lean is noticeable. The ride is absorbent but unsettled. The cabin is fairly quiet, but wind noise is pronounced on the highway. Controls are easy to use. The front seats are comfortable; the rear seat is unimpressive for such a large car. Head protecting curtain air bags are standard. Crash-test results are very good.
The Accord:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ConsumerReportsSnapshot.aspx?year 06&make=Honda&modelcord
The Accord V6 is our top-rated family sedan. It has fairly agile handling, and the ride is steady and compliant. Inside the car the Accord is roomy, quiet and refined, although some road noise is noticeable. A telescoping steering column allows drivers to find an ideal position. The automatic shifts very smoothly and responsively. The four-cylinder engine is smoother than many V6s. Side and curtain air bags are standard. The V6 model is very quick and relatively fuel efficient. V6 models also get standard stability control for 2006. The V6 hybrid version is even quicker and gets 25 mpg overall, just one mpg better than the four-cylinder, which may not justify its $30,000 price tag. Crash-test results are impressive. ************
I personally have always sought out the CR opinions, though they have been very favorable to Japanese cars, and pretty tough on American. So if they are saying pretty good things about American cars now, then I would tend to respect that. But as I haven't owned anything but crappy old cars, and driven very few newer ones, I really haven't a clue.
I just can't stomach spending over 10k on a car! I'm cheap! I'd rather save my money so I can roll around in it at night! Or at least put it in a bank or Mutual Fund!
Anyhoo, I guess the last week or so I have turned from one of those 'Japanese cars are the only ones to buy and all American cars pretty much suck' to 'Hondas have issues too, and even though the American companies are having issues their cars, some of them anyway, are pretty darn nice'.
I will try not to be biased against American cars, or Japanese, but to me it's got to be comfortable, safe, reliable, pretty cheap and look a little cool (no VW bug for me, been driving a woosy car for 4 years).
So, with my Most and Least reliable cars guide in my hand, I will shop some more and with the American market reopened, I have a chance of spending less than 10k!
Thanks Impy