Impala Window Regulator

Hello: I really long for the days of roll up and down manual windows! The biggest and most expensive issues I had with my old Crown Vic was constant window regulator failures. Now it seems my Impala is following the Crown Vics footsteps. Anyhow, it was not too bad of a job. I have the factory service manual, and it took almost 3 three hours to get the regulator out, and less than a half hour to get the new one in and back together. I can probably do it again in an hour. I am sure the other side window will fail in a few days just like it did on my Crown Vic. What is really sad is that the regulator failed due to a cracked nylon piece that holds the cable to the motor assembly. The new regulator (at $239) has the same design. A failure due to use of plastic and cost cutting. Have a nice day, Bill

Reply to
billccm

i've seen that on gmc & chevy trucks (like the 2001's & 2's) where the plastic guide pulley that the cable goes across wears, cracks, & eventually lets the cable drop away, which will then get tangled up in the motor & ruined. they could easily be spared a costly repair by being replaced with a metal pully, the type you can get at any hardware store, the kind of pully that is made for running on a cable (like clothspin bags typically use). those have aluminum (or better) steel pulleys that can easily be removed & installed in the upper window track. the steel pully will likely outlast all the rest of the system.

Reply to
superchuckles