Inner Tie Rod End Removal - still working on it...

1990 Olds Silhouette 3.1 engine...

I'm in the process of attempting to pull the inner tie rod ends....and need a litltle help.

The flats are considered inaccessible and require a special tool. A poster recommended using the Lisle 45750 which has 5 crowfoot wrench. I went out and bought one only to discover it is the incorrect size for the inner tie rods which are on the car...(although it does fit the replacement tie rod ends perfectly.)

A measurement with a caliper shows the flat to be about 22 or 23 mm (.905 inches). I ordered a Jumbo Metric Crowfoot Wrench Set containing metric sizes from 20 mm to 46 mm, but the wrenches looked kinda crude, and the tie rod end is torqued to about 70 ft lbs so there are concerns whether these wrenches will be appropriate. When they arrive I'll try them out but have my reservations.

Is there another tool recommended for removal? Remember the flats are relatively inaccessible to traditional wrenches ( including pipe wrenches).

Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge...

Peter

Reply to
Peter

"Peter" wrote

The other option is to simply pull the steering gear out of the vehicle. About the only difficult thing on a van like that is getting at the pinch bolt for the intermediate steering shaft where it hooks up to the steering rack.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai