instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies for several minutes, repeat...

Threaded View

hello-
i have a 99 olds alero 3.4, 80k miles.
engine runs well for the most part, although subpar mpg.

the problem is that the instrument panel, power windows and ac blower
are not operating. the gauges (tachometer, fuel, temp, speed) are
stuck on zero, and the panel lights dont work. the hvac blower will
not turn on, the windows wont go up or down. after ten minutes of
driving the blower (if the knob is turned up) and instrument panel
will suddenly turn on for a minute or so, then die. this cycle will
repeat.

these symptoms first started out once a week, but now have escalated
to all the time. finally, dtc codes p1665 and p1676 set (with engine
check light coming on).

the stereo, courtesy lights, door locks, head lights, engine, work
fine.

i suspect the problem is a bad ground, loose/poor connection, and the
troublecodes dealing with the EVAP system are just symptoms of the
universal problem.

any advice?

tags: gauges, panel, cluster, blower, fan, dtc, codes, "service
engine", "check engine light", bad, poor, ground, connection, windows,
lights, dark, die, died, off, fail, stop, off,

Re: instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies for several minutes, repeat...

Get a wiring Diagram. Find where the problem circuits and good circuits are
different. trace down each wire and find the one that is loose that would
shut off all the circuits that don't work.

Re: instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies for several minutes, repeat...

I have this sort of  Instrument problem on a 2005 Vauxhall (Opel)
Signum 2.2 litre. The Dealer thinks it is a problem with the high
speed CanBus, but cannot find an error code ..... our problem is
`solved'  by turning the engine off and back on again. ie
rebooting the high speed bus. There are about 5 modules networked
onto this high speed bus, and the problem could be in any one of
them apparently.

Befire that on an older  Ford I have had a problem with the
voltage regulator chip that feeds the Instruments. If it gets too
hot it will safeguard itself - and shut down. When it cools it
will turn back on again ...

Other than that do you have relay with burnt contacts ? I have had
a partially bad relay which had me running around in circles,
because sometimes the contacts closed properly, sometimes not.

Not sure if any of this is relevant to you though !

Re: instrument cluster dies, then comes for a minute, then dies for several minutes, repeat...

The main body ground is a mesh strap that runs from a tranny bellhousing
bolt to the body usually on GM's.

A secondary one runs from the battery negative to the body by the
battery.  A symptom of the main ground dead will be the small one by the
battery first melting the insulation, then cooking.

I also think the frame has a ground strap across an engine mount, but am
not sure where.

The vehicle can 'steal' some ground and run sometimes, but....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Canadian Off Road Trips Photos:  Non members can still view!
Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590

Site Timeline