Intake Gasket Failure Question

Page 2 of 2
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Yes...many of them never even made into the shop for a PDI.
Ian

heh-heh-heh.... ;-)

Damn never new about the Camshaft , what years were the problem must have been back in the 50's? I dont think a recurrent camshaft problem would continue like that in modern day with so much competition from Japanese. If what you say is true and just recently happened then I cant see how GM is still in business with that type of track record. I mean would you by another GM if you had a camshaft failure out of warranty. Engines today are not supposed to break any time soon with regular maintenance.

60s, 70s and 80s The earliest model year small block chevy I recall replacing a camshaft on because of worn lobes is a 1968.

Marion Barry was re-elected mayor of Washington DC -after- being busted for crack cocaine. Never under estimate the ability of the general public to make illogical decisions.

I've only owned two GM products; a Chevrolet W4 truck which was actually built by Isuzu, and a Cadillac Seville. The W4 was pretty decent, the Cadillac was a turd.

True for many companies, but not GM.

My family has been buying GM vehicles since forever... I dont recall any of the "engines" ever "breaking". The only engine I recall in the family having a break down was a toyota or honda with a failed timing belt. Not sure what your problem with GM is but for not owning any to speak of, you sure like to shove your biased opinion onto everyone.

At only 42,000 kms, GM had to replace the engine because the cylinder walls were so badly damaged from the pistons banging around.
That's "breaking" in my book, and it should not be happening.
Brad

after replacing, the car was very reliable after that except for the normal items which need replacing with mileage. GM has had more than its share of engine problems recently which hit the owners in the pocketbook. You don't have 100% failure or 100% reliability on any vehicle. Sounds like your family has been very lucky.

2.2 Ecotec? I havent seen or heard of any issues like that with the Ecotecs. After doing regular maintenance on quite a few of those I've come to have a lot of respect for them. They're very well layed out and the only 4 cylinder engine I actually like, aside from antique motorcycle engines...

I'm talking about "engines breaking". GM engines are hard to break, unless you never pop the hood to check fluids... Luck has little to do with it. It has more to do with catching problems before they blow up in ones face. My dad had a jeep with a warped head... I wouldnt call that "breaking". My 3800 had a coolant leak that I addressed right away but the engine wasnt what I would call broke. Our cars havent been "without problems" but theres no reason to get a hair up ones ass over little issues like coolant leaks. I'd drop 600 bucks on a 3800 to have the gaskets and intake repaired "the way I fix them". That engine is worth the investment.
Bonneville wrote:

He wasn't talking about the Ecotec engine.

Your definition of "breaking" is different from what other people consider "breakage". The problems with the Gen II 3800 are quite a bit more then "little" issues. I guess you haven't encountered as many as I have that come in at certain mileages needing well over 2 grand worth of work just to fix "little coolant/oil leak issues". Pretty unacceptable for most folks that own them.
Ian

Ian, show him the pictures of the broken 3.1 camshaft, maybe -that- fits his definition of "breaking." ;-)

Impossible.
Sample size.

Maintenance item.

First; try not to take what I say personally. Second; I've been a mechanic for over 35 years, so my "opinions" are based upon what I've seen in those years. Third: I'm not shoving a damn thing, if you can't handle reading a dissenting viewpoint, you'd best leave usenet.
In 1975 My father bought a new Volvo 245 DL. A friend, who worked in Sweden in Volvo service told my father: How it come that you buy this car? In the service where I work there are a bunch of broken engines. This car is still in garage in Belgrade-Serbia with cca 500k km and we didn't have any problem with it.
Boba Vancouver BC

They must not own any 3.1 or 3.8 engines hoovering close to 100k miles, or they would know about the Intake gasket failures that happen like clock work. They may as well pull out there check book and start writing one for $800-900 payable to GM.

I guess you are right....I still cant believe Bush was reelected. After what he brought us.............................high unemployment, high gas prices, war, death and destruction to innocent people women and children.
Johnny Action wrote:

Sounds like NYC on and after 9-11-01. Are you blameing Bush for that as well? Here is a link in case you have not heard of the attack: http://www.11-sept.org/survivors.html

Riiiiight... The better choice would have been the lying scum traitor communist sympathizer. Please, don't make me wretch.

How is President Bush responsible for unemployment? (use as much space as you feel necessary)

Gas prices don't seem to be a whole lot different than they were in 2000, which would have been priced according to gasoline futures during Clinton's presidency. Then again, gasoline is cheaper now then what it was priced at in the early 70s before the oil shortages. But, going back to President Bush being responsible, feel free to explain, and again, use as much space as you feel necessary.

Oh goody, another Sadaam Hussein sympathizer. You might want to check the congressional voting record WRT the current Iraq conflict. (Kerry was a senator at the time) Then again, that area has been at war for the last 5000+ years, so maybe your point is moot.

era had the same problems.The 307 "lived" from '71 to '73 for sure, possibly '70 too. Replaced by the 305 in '74. Problem was not totally gone yet in '76, where the cams would still go flat on some 350s and 400s.
Anyone heard of a GM service bulletin that describes the gasket problem (leaking, coolant issues, overheating....)? I had heard of one, but after calling the 800 GM number, nothing was found to be wrong or known to be a problem. I have appt to take my 99 Montana in for service tomorrow am and I'm hoping to arm myself with as much information as I can.