Intake Manifold fasteners

I had received a GM recall notice for my 2002 Buick Park Avenue (3.8L engine, of course). They wanted to replace three fasteners on the composite intake manifold (since, if the fasteners got loose or failed, then you have leaks and major problems).

Since I had no coolant level changes or any visible leaks, I put this off. Finally, I was taking the Buick to one dealer for other work, so they asked me if I wanted that recall procedure done. Sure. They also added the coolant system sealer.

Now that they did it, I want to go in and inspect the job. Anybody know what I should look for, besides a coolant leak? How would I recognize one fastener from another?

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

"Robertwgross" wrote

Bob, there are three nuts that hold the throttle body to the upper intake plenum. The original nuts were black in color, and had a washer type surface built in to the design of the nut. The new ones are a shiny brass/copper type of color, and they have a beveled washer that is separate (yet still integral) from the nut. The upper one is quite easy to see, the front lower one is down low and hidden slightly by a small bracket that ties the throttle body to the lower intake. And there is one more, but it's down below on the back side of the throttle body.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That is the information that I was looking for. Thanks. Unfortunately, I just took a quick glance at it, and I could not see anything of the kind, so I will need to look deeper and hope that I don't screw anything up.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Yes, I found all of the new ones. Thanks.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Where can I find this nut-based sealant and under which name?

TIA

Reply to
Neo

No nut-based sealants have been discussed in this thread.

Hex nut fasteners have been discussed, and also cooling system sealer.

Sometimes you just feel like a nut.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Sometimes you Don't....

Reply to
Steve W.

Oh, no, the thread police!!!

You said in your 1st post: "They also added the coolant system sealer."

Perhaps you ignore what the sealant is made of...

Speak for yourself... :-)

Reply to
Neo

I give up. You tell us what the coolant system sealer is. Ian calls them pellets.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

"Robertwgross" wrote

I think that he may possibly be referring to the fact that the GM sealer is made partially with crushed nut shells....walnuts I think.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Crushed walnuts? That sounds like dietary fiber, not cooling system sealer. Is there a list of ingredients, like on food?

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

"Robertwgross" wrote

From what little I know about it, it has crushed shells as part of it's ingredients. No list that I've seen on the package. And I haven't tried to eat any of the pellets.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hey..my friend used an egg and pepper to stop a pinhole leak in his 75 Dodge pickup...if food works.....

Reply to
Eightupman

And back to my question: is it easy to find under the name "coolant system sealant"?

TIA

Reply to
Neo

Yep, they're there, all right.