Interesting brake pad experience

Bought some Adaptive One brake pads for the rear of my 2001 Monte Carlo. Found out too late that they were made in China.

Each pad is plainly stamped "inner" or "outer" and also has a blue or red paint dot to also indicate inner or outer. The illustration in the package clearly showed the outer pad having the wear indicator affixed to it, and the original pads had the wear indicator mounted on the outer pad.

However, the replacement pad marked and color coded "inner" was the one with the wear indicator.

Mr. NAPA checked a set of Adaptive One pads he had on the shelf for another application and noted that the wear indicator was on the outer pad. He then ordered in another set of the pads I had bought. Lo and behold they were exactly the same as the first set.

Called up NAPA's Adaptive One hot line. The gentlemen assured me that all was well, and the wear indicator should be mounted on the inner pad because it wears faster. He said that the only reason for not putting it on the inner pad would be some kind of mechanical interference presented by the car maker's design. However, he did agree that the illustration in the package was misleading and promised to bring it to the manufacturer's attention.

This experience leaves me with an uneasy feeling. I still wonder if our Chinese friends mislabeled these pads. If GM put the wear indicator on the outer pads why wouldn't an aftermarket supplier follow suit?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Perhaps there has been a design change. I'd call the parts guy at the local GM dealer and ask if the GM OEM are made that way now.

Reply to
Paul

Even if the inner pad wore faster then the outer pad, it wouldn't matter which side wore faster, it would just have to be at the right part of the pad to indicate when it needed replacement, Thus if you compared the new pads to the old pads, the wear indicators would be at different thicknesses.

Whatever side of the caliper has the actual cylinder should be the side that wears faster, since that is being pressed into the rotor moreso then the other side, but technically they should wear evenly.

I've pretty much sworn off buying anything but OEM pads, I went to get some pads at NAPA for my Nissan 300Z turbo, and I got their "premium pads" they were completely the wrong size, about 10% smaller then the pads I had on the car. I took them back and they compared them to the photos, the guy behind the counter told me that the pads that I said my car had were for the non-turbo, which didn't seem to make much sense on an engineering standpoint to give the faster turbo car the bigger brakes....

I think the last time I replaced the pads, I went to checker or Autozone, and they were able to give me the right ones no problem, so I think NAPA has some part #'s switched around. Since the pads ended up being ok still (I was trying to track down a brake squeek, just had the rotors turned) I returned them, pfft oh well..

Reply to
Paradox