Intermittent A/C, '98 Chevy Blazer

I've only had this car for about 6 mos., and before that it spent a lot of time not being used. I've had some switch contact problems, like window switches that
worked/didn't work, and the same with the wipers. A shot of contact cleaner fixed it.
Now the A/C is doing it. It may work for days on end, and it's quite cold. Then it will quit, and no amount of knob twiddling will make it come back. Maybe next time I use the car it will be perfect, or maybe it will work for 5 minutes, then off for 3 minutes and back on again for good. This is just the compressor; the blower always runs like it should.
I figure it's gotta be a bad connection somewhere, but where should I look? I don't think it's in the dash controls this time. When the A/C is being bad, there's 8 or so volts across the A/C relay coil, but not enough to pull it in.
A point in the right direction would be much appreciated!
Not sure what you mean by "across the relay coil", but in any event there should be 12 volts TO the compressor clutch when the AC is cycling on. GW
john KB5AG wrote:

No 12v to the compressor, unless I remove the cover on the AC relay and manually close the contacts. So nothing is telling the AC relay to provide voltage to the compressor clutch.
Thanks.

changing it either.

thanks, I'll try that. Guess I could jump across the terminals when my AC was being stubborn and see if it kicks in?
John