Is 95 Lumina APV a good used car?

The exterior looks nearly new, interor in very clean condition, car only has 65K miles on it. They are asking $2500 OBO. I searched the NHTSA site, and found that the windshield wipers were a BIG problem on this car. There were several complaints on brakes. One report of stuck throttle, one report of a thrown rod. Frequent problems with drivers and passengers door handles/latches A couple of tranny failures. Airbags failed to deploy. Mainly I need to know if the drivetrain on this car is sound/reliable. I got an issue of Consumer Reports Used car buying guide, but it only goes as far back as 97. I did note that the 97 model wasn't a CR "Good Bet" vehicle! Anway, your opinions appreciated.

Reply to
Geronimo

I like carsurvey.org for comparisons. They show APV's going way back.

Al Bundy

Well, my 91 transsport gave good service until it sold at 215,000 miles. Original engine, transmission and exhaust. Wipers can be a problem but the motor is easy access, no problem with the wiper linkage( be sure to lube it). The 95 should have a 3800 engine and a

4T60 transmission a good combo and probably the most reliable GM ever made. Brakes and door latches weren't a problem on mine but I did not have ABS. Sounds like a decent price as I just sold my 91 with 215K miles for $1000. One thing I did find, Check that cable that holds the spare tire up underneath. I had a flat one day and went to get the spare and the wing nut was frozen fast and the cable only had one strand left holding it. This could be caused from many miles on Michigans salt roads in winter.

One more thing on the wipers, after replacing 2 motors I found I could oper the pulse wiper control box on the wiper motor and resolder all the joints and get it working again. Clod solder joints are a problem in that motor sometimes.

FWIW ;-p

Reply to
;-p

For the money sounds good. It is 10 years old so you cannot expect a problem free car. Things in any car just wear out. Maybe you may consider using the $2500 as a down payment and lease a new or almost new EQUINIOX, In a few months Avis, Hertz, and the other agenices will begin to shed their 2005 rentals. These cars can make great bargains. But only buy the ones the dealers take back. I bought in Jan 04 and X- Dollar Rent A Car 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS with 29k miles on it. A few nicks here and there, but really nice. It was a $29,000 optioned SUV and the Mitusbishi dealer that took it back sold it to me for $17000.

Reply to
Atlantic965