Is an Onboard Trickle charger useful for a Car Battery.

Is it useful to have a battery trickle charger mounted under the hood and used at times particularly in very cold weather.

What are the merits of a trickle charger?

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Better to keep the battery warm than trickle charged in extreme cold IMHO.

Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

batt active and not as apt to freeze.

Jim.J

Reply to
Jim.J

I've used a trickle charger wired into the same plug as the lower-radiator-hose heater when it was absolutely imperative that the vehicle would start (Dodge B-350 service van for 2-way shop)

I put a heavy-duty strain-relief on the vehicle cord and would position the extension cable from the house so that if I forgot to unplug it (2 AM calls!) I'd back over the cord and 'automatically' unplug it

Reply to
TransSurgeon

TransSurgeon, Can you please explain this strain relief more I am interested in this device but don't quite understand it.

Thanks Denny B

position the

clim. it

Reply to
Denny B

it was just one of those 'wire-pulling' braided things that electricians slip over wires to pull them thru conduit, it works on the 'harder you pull the tighter it gets' principle

I think it was made by Greenlee

ran the wire thru it ( you have to tape the end away from the attachment point), and secured it to the rear door hinge so that about 6" of the wire hung outside the side door

Reply to
TransSurgeon

TransSurgeon' Thanks for the info. In regards your trickle charger. The ones that I observe are available here in Canada seem to be 11/2 amps. Is this amperage OK?

Thanks Denny B

electricians

attachment

Reply to
Denny B

that's plenty

you're just passing enough current thru it to keep it warm

Reply to
TransSurgeon

TransSurgeon.

Thanks kindly.

Denny B

'harder

Reply to
Denny B

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Any idea who sells those? I'd like to perhaps get one, but I've never seen one anyway.

Really appreciate any help on this!

Thanks!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

I don't know where you are in Canada Acklands sells them.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Ah, many thanks, but I'm near Chicago and I've never heard of Acklands. I'll check the web.

Thanks anyway!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559