Is Cavalair a reasonably reliable vehicle.

The 3000 series engines are great other than the crummy timing gear. That's a simple change, though - maybe $400 for all metal and bearing parts and then a chain every 100K after that.

They are pretty much the same, but honestly, the advantage is that the Buick depreciates faster due to the image. Yet it has better amenities and is more luxurious in the base trim. You pay the same as a Grand Prix, or Lumina, but because of the depreciation, you can get the top trim model Buick for the same price - a win-win situation if you plan to keep the car as a driver until it dies.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote

What engine are you referring to? There hasn't been a "3000" engine for quite a while. Perhaps you are lumping the 3800/3300 engines into one "3000" class?

The late model 3800's don't use the plastic timing gears anymore.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yes. :) 3100/3400/3800. The 3400 is neat - it appears to be a slick engine - basically simmilar to Toyota's 3.8 but a bit smaller displacement and more efficient.

GM may make less than optimal cars as far as ergonomics and handling go, but their engines are very very good.

Nice to know. When did they change? Also - I noticed they are making a 3800 III engine now - when did they change over? My timing gear ate itself and the engine survived with one slightly tweaked lifter(cam button went south at the same time - cam was flopping around a bit much) - barely noticeable noise. Not bad considering a broken timing belt on my old Volvo would mean a new top end.

I was looking at the latest version of the "lowly" 3100 engine and darn if it doesn't put out 10HP less HP and about 5ft-lbs less torque than my 3800 series I engine at the same RPMS. (rated almost exactly the same on paper, but 5200rpm isn't as good as 3800rpm, IMO) But - the graphs are shockingly close.

Less weight, bit quicker to rev up, and much better gas mileage. Definately not junk as that one previous person suggested.

That you can get 30pmg highway out of a 3.1L engine and 3342lbs dry weight(figure 3600 with fuel and fluids and a driver) is well - it's about the most fuel efficient midsize car out there. My Volvo 240 gets about 30mpg with stickshift and a LOT less weight and a much smaller engine.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote

Ok, 3100/3400 are one family of engine, 3800 is in a class of it's own. 3400 looks identical to the 3100 other then a big "3400" stamped across the upper plenum.

Hmmm.....in the case of the 60 degree v-6's...you may have some differing opinions on that.

I think the change came about with the GenII engine. GenIII came out this year. Saw one in a Grand Prix, looks pretty much the same. I don't think there was much changed in the version.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai