Is my transmission shot?

So, I was driving home today when my 95 Cavalier started making a clunky kind of noise every time I stepped on the gas. Eventually it sounded like something may have fallen off of the car, and then the
car hesitated quite a bit afterward. I luckily lived close by and parked the car ASAP. My husband went out to look at it and said I have no reverse. Im assuming this means my transmission is shot? Help!
--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated http://www.AutoBoardz.com
interface

Help, you ask? What kind of help do you want. Need a ride to work? Want to borrow money the get it fixed?
Chances are the tranny needs fixing and that can run from $250 to $2500. Given the age of the car I'd consider getting one from a junk yard as it is probably not worth spending big bucks on a 13 year old car. Sometimes you get lucky and it is a minor repair, but not often, it seems.
Can only say on past history with my Jimmy. Reverse went out and shifted hard. Fix was $1,500 four years ago.

What is more important than the weight is API rating, must be at least SL.

My bad, replied in the wrong thread!!

If you did that to confuse me, it worked.