Is quad 4-motors 2.3 L 16 valve - a risk/danger motor

I have heard that quad 4-motors 2.3 L 16 valve - is a risk/danger motor because it's oil pressure often are going to oscillate and then fall to zero and the motor crash/died with big damage. I have hear that the gear wheel on the oilpump is made oc plastic material and thats cog are distroyed. Or are there any other ground to this. What should be done for prevent this?

Kent Gustavsson

Reply to
<187gustafsson

I had an '88 Grand Am with the 2.3l quad 4 in it. Although the motor was still running at 250k miles, you should plan on replacing the head gasket and/or cylinder head about every 60-80k miles. Other than that, no out of the ordinary problems and no oil pump failure in 250k miles.

GJ

Reply to
George Jetson

I have a 1990 Pontiac Grand-Am with a 16 Valve High Output Quad 4 5 spd. Although the car only has 100k miles, I have no complaints about it, but the head gasket was once changed at 35k miles. I intend to drive my car for a few more years.

Dan

90 Grand-Am SE Quad-4 HO 89 Corvette 5.7 Tuned Port Injection

Reply to
Black Bomb

That's not something I've heard of on those motors. Main problems with those tend to be the head gasket and the timing chain tensioner, as far as I know, especially on the older models..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Yes that reminds me, I did change the timing chain tensioner once at about

50k miles.

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

I had a 95 Grand Am with the Quad 4. Excatly what you posted happened to me. The oil pressure dropped all of a sudden and it seemed sluggish. By the time I could get it back to a garage there was a loud knocking/grinding noise, and that was it, the engine had to be rebuilt. Also those engines are famous for overheating issues. Never let that engine get anywhere near the red. All it takes is one overheat on those and you will be in for a lifetime of problems. I will never go back to the quad ever again. Just my opinion.

Reply to
KDawg

Reply to
Anthony Allen