Is rear struts a DYI project?

Need help in replacing rear struts for 96 Olds Cutlass. Is this easy to do? What are steps involved? Thanks

Reply to
Tj

You need a manual. About $20 for a Haynes or Chilton on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, KMart or a parts store. The factory manuals are better but thess will do nicely for a strut change. You will need a jack, jack stands, a good selection of hand tools, and possibly spring compressors. Assuming that you have never done struts before let me caution that dealing with springs under tension can be dangerous. You can do it yourself, but you will need to have the right tools and study the manual carefully before beginning. Sometimes it's just smarter to wait for a sale at Sears or somesuch. FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Rear struts don't have springs, but little spring loaded rubber metal thingies. get a manual before attempting to do the job, trust me. Or you will be hitting yourself in the head.

Reply to
clevere

The Springs are seperate from the struts on my car. Getting the strut back in the upper mounting hole was a bit of a struggle, took two of us to do it. Not an easy job.

After that you need a rear wheel alignment too.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~267,018 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face