Is the Hummer "greener" than the Prius?

Page 6 of 9
Nate Nagel wrote:

Do they use them for controlling things like the engine control, ABS, and traction control computer or just for controlling the slower, less critical stuff, like the seatbelts and air conditioning? And wouldn't an MS OS contribute a lot of unneeded overhead and wasted ROM space?
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

No.
Not them either. No point ! Windows has nothing to offer for the embedded programmer. These things don't even need an *operating system*.

It would.
And no-one in their right mind would use it. Except the USN of course where it completely shut down a warship ! LMAO !
In any case Windows is simply not suitable for an embedded real time system. Nate either knows that full damn well and is just being perverse or he's even more poorly informed than I thought.
Graham

I'm not being perverse, just pointing out that Windows is actually used in an automotive context. I agree that it's asinine and I wouldn't want it, but it exists. DAGS if you don't believe me.
nate
N8N wrote:

Also on Airbus aircraft.
B A R R Y wrote:

Not for anything critical (like flight controls) it isn't.
Graham

Not sure. I know that BMW is one of the companies using it however. Honestly, new cars aren't of as much interest to me as older ones so I'm not clear on the details.

Undoubtedly.
nate

You sound like a person that must own a Pirus.
A hummer may not last 300K, but I don't expect a Pirus to last more than 100K without a LOT of maintenance and parts being replaced to keep it in as good a service shape as the Hummer. I drive a Pirus for a little while, it was a box, no comfort, hard on the road, got bad MPG on the freeway (at least I didn't think it was worth the cost for the MPG) and seemed to only benefit me when I was doing a lot of City driving.
I've not driven a Hummer, but I did drive and own a Dakota 4x4 V8 Quad Cab for many years, and it weighed 6,000# empty, got about 12MPG, but it ran for over 200K before I traded it on a 4Runner Limited Edition V6.
The premium price and the additional maintenance that can't be done by your typical home mechanic puts the vehicle at a higher impact on green than a Hummer would, not to mention the higher build and retire costs to the environment.
Even if we were to assume their impact was the same over the same period of time - that would mean that a very small, limited power, cramped, poor ride, unable to carry cargo vehicle was no better (green) than the Hummer.
--
Leythos - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)
The Prius is optimized for city driving.

[...]

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says...

Please fix your Usenet client, it's not properly quoting text and it's not properly posting your reply at the bottom of the thread, allowing you to snip/clip the unnecessary parts.
You've stated the Obvious, and that also means that it will be subject to more wear, more maintenance, more service needs - if I drive 100K miles between Michigan and Georgia in 1 year there will be less wear on the vehicle than if I drive 100K miles in a city environment over 3 years.
City driving is hard on cars in many ways. So, I would never expect a Pirus to last as long as a SUV and it's certainly not going to get that 50MPG when used in the same manner as a SUV.
--

Leythos
says...

Fix your news reader. It's allowing you to capitalize words in ways that make no sense.
Leythos wrote:

What's a Hummer's city mpg ?
8 ?
Graham
In message says...

Look it up, chimp.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

No idea, can you use Google?
--

Leythos
Leythos wrote:

I was hoping someone might know.
Google links to lots of sites that don't give a number but I did eventually find.....
6.8 MPG !
That's worse than a semi averages hauling a load !
Graham
Leythos wrote:

Why ?
Most modern vehicles will last up to 200,000 mi with routine maintenance.
Graham
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Just my impression of driving for 30+ years and having driven one for a little while.
--

Leythos
Leythos wrote:

Do tell more please.
Graham
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

There is nothing more to tell, based on my Opinion, and that's all I've got, I think that the Pirus will cost more in maintenance than the Hummer over the same period of time, not to mention that I think it will deteriorate more over the same period of time - and the comfort level is vastly different.
--

Leythos
says...

Why did you capitalize "opinion"??? You're falling apart, one Lego at a time.
says...

Why do you feel the need to divert from the topic/subject in ever thread you post in?
Since YOU can't control how I PoSt, since you don't have HOPE of changING how I post, Why Don't You Troll Somewhere Else?
--

Leythos