Is the Hummer "greener" than the Prius?

Page 7 of 9
says...

Gee whiz...I'm just curious. You're doing this strange capitalization thing today. I wondered if maybe you had a mild stroke.
says...

I'm doing it because I want to call attention to certain words without having to put them in all CAPS - since there is no color, no bold, nothing other than plain text, if you understood Usenet posting you would already know this - but I suspect that You already do know it and are just Trolling again.
I still think that the Pirus will croak before the Hummer and that the Pirus will be more if not the same cost to own/dispose of as the Hummer over 200K miles.
--

Leythos

Since the Pirus does not exist, I doubt it will croak.
(remove 999 for proper email address)
In message

The Prius will require a new battery at 100K, at which point the car is worth less than a bucket of spit.
Leythos wrote:

That's a clear design 'drop-off'.
Easily fixed.
I fail to see why it even needs a 12V battery actually unless it was done for some supposed 'convenience'.
Graham
In message Eeyore sprach forth the following:

You "fail to see" quite a lot of things, chimp.

Is it?
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

Yes. For starters, a decent design engineer would use Eeprom or Flash technology to cover power outages. Or even supercaps.
Graham
dizzy wrote:

Exactly. You can't.
Graham

They probably picked it because it's readily available and, at 12V, it can run all the car's accessories. And perhaps a charge leaks off it slwoer than off a NiMH.

Eeyore wrote:

Suffering from reading comprehension problems?
Toyota's engineers could.
Idiot.

For the same reason your computer, even your laptop computer, requires a CMOS battery.
They do pretty much the same things.
The high voltage traction battery is disconnected from the car until and unless the 12v battery boots up the computer and the computer knows it's OK to close the relay.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

You don't need a 12V lead acid for that.
Graham
"C. E. White" wrote:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20070404_Hidden_cost_of_driving_a_Prius.html
If that was true, those 100,000 mi would cost the owner $325,000 !
Clearly that's not the case.
Graham
In message Eeyore sprach forth the following:

No it wouldn't. Read the sentence again.
C. E. White wrote:

How so? I've seen a couple Hummers flipped onto their sides or top after altercations with cars (which remained upright).

Yes, and I bet the Hummer wasn't crushed like a tin can either. Would you really want to be rammed by a truck while in a Prius? Think before you answer.
80 Knight wrote:

I would rather be in the Hummer if the Hummer is doing the ramming.
My wife saw a Hummer rammed by a relatively small car a couple of years back and the Hummer flipped over onto it's top. The people in the car faired better in that scenario. So I guess the answer is "it depends".
jcr wrote:

Not to mention that Hummers are more likely to flip over if they go off the side of the highway or in high-speed maneuvers.
Jeff