Is the Hummer "greener" than the Prius?

Because it's over complicated.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Look at the QED mini.

0-60 in 4.2 seconds. That's not golf cart performance.

And it's a plug in hybrid.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

serious instead of giving a

The range is limited only by the size of the 'gas tank' for the 250cc engine.

As for arrogance and ignorance you're exhibiting vast quantities of both. Not to mention the truly dreadful 'it can't be done-ism'. I've spent lots of my life doing things ppl said 'can't be done'. I'm sick of that attitude.

Incidentally, unlike ICE powered cars, an EV with larger motors to accelerate faster barely uses any more power than an EV with smaller motors. That's where electric motors win out big time since they don't waste lots of power when they're only delivering a fraction of their rated output.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A Hummer doesn't get mileage that good.

It's 6.8 mpg in city traffic. About SIX times worse fuel consumption.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

No.

Not them either. No point ! Windows has nothing to offer for the embedded programmer. These things don't even need an *operating system*.

It would.

And no-one in their right mind would use it. Except the USN of course where it completely shut down a warship ! LMAO !

In any case Windows is simply not suitable for an embedded real time system. Nate either knows that full damn well and is just being perverse or he's even more poorly informed than I thought.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

But the process of Global Warming could be the reason for increases in CO2 gas in the atmosphere - while man does create CO2, the environment also creates CO2 gas - there are thousands of years of ICE Core Samples to prove that CO2 increased before man was producing it.

Reply to
Leythos

Not in England, maybe.

You can really only rely on "home."

Sure, but that implies a) a breakthrough in battery technology that hasn't happened yet (a serial hybrid isn't practical ATM because of battery limitations) and b) a LOT more stored energy than you're allowing for.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Exactly.

Plus there's plenty of atmospheric data on CO2 levels from past measurements that the new global warming evangelists have simply chosen to ignore because it doesn't 'fit their model'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not anywhere.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

recharge off

Things are changing already. Today. NOW !

" Electric vehicles:.................. Free recharging points are also available in 13 of our 17 car parks. "

FREE electricity too ! They really want to reduce pollution.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

happily >cover as

It implies no such things at all.

I suggest you calculate how much energy it takes to move a fairly normal size car at say 80 mph. You might get a shock how little it is compared to the output of ICEs.

The equations for rolling resistance and air drag are readily available if you search.

That's why you can 'get way with' as little as 15kWh of stored energy.

The onboard ICE will also come in handy for winter heating too. It's nuts to use energy in the battery for space heating.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You know, if they make a decent hybrid that isn't a sub-compact like the Prius, people might just be more interested.

It is funny how the hybrid folks keep wanting us to get squeezed into those tiny econoboxes like the Prius and Civic and Volt and Fit.

Reply to
PerfectReign

stable-mate and *the

Mk1... it was an '84 (last year)

!

quite fun to drive

I honestly haven't a clue. Probably something about 2.0 liters. Most of the small American cars are so boring that paying attention to them seems something akin to trainspotting.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Not sure. I know that BMW is one of the companies using it however. Honestly, new cars aren't of as much interest to me as older ones so I'm not clear on the details.

Undoubtedly.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'm not being perverse, just pointing out that Windows is actually used in an automotive context. I agree that it's asinine and I wouldn't want it, but it exists. DAGS if you don't believe me.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I personally have probably logged 500 miles in a single day's work before. Over the course of two days, quite often. Before I moved, it was 50 miles from my house to my office. throw a couple job site visits in and you're there.

I know that there are people that live in PA that commute back and forth to Baltimore every day. People live where they can afford, and work where they can get paid.

nate

Reply to
N8N

to mention the truly dreadful

'can't be done'. I'm sick of that

faster barely uses any more

time since they don't waste

Oh, I get it, you actually believe the press releases. That car you posted is vaporware, pure and simple, until it actually operates under its own power.

Past experience tells me that the claims in the press release are optimistic at best.

nate

Reply to
N8N

happily >cover as

car at say 80

use energy in

You're neglecting that you need a power reserve in an electric car too. that means not only bigger, heavier motors than required for steady state cruising, but extra battery capacity as well. I don't know about the cutting edge technology batteries, but the sealed lead- acid deals that I am familiar with don't like to be discharged at a rate greater than their amp-hour rating, as a rule of thumb. (i.e. if you have a 50Ah battery, you don't want to discharge it at a rate much above 50A to prevent damage.) I would assume that similar limitations are found with other batteries, although I don't know if they correlate the same way or not.

nate

Reply to
N8N

And yet, it's the best hybrid available from a major manufacturer today.

You can point to vaporware all you want, but the truth is, the Prius is the most advanced hybrid vehicle that a major manufacturer apparently feels comfortable putting on the market, for whatever reason.

nate

Reply to
N8N

a) where can I buy one

b) how many kWh does its batteries store and at what density

nate

Reply to
N8N